Butternut Squash, sweet caramelized onions, hot sausage and gooey cheese makes this perfect comfort food -Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese with Hot Sausage, Spinach, & Caramelized Onions will definitely find its way on our table again soon!Cook time: 00 hrs. 40 mins.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
I made this amazing recipe while Grumpy was out in the woods bow hunting. I knew that he was going to love it too when I saw how creamy and cheesy it was. As a matter of fact, he loved it so much, I wasn't sure I would have any leftovers for lunch the next day!
If you feel like splurging a little and want to comfort yourself with a delicious pasta dish, then you will not go wrong with this one. Definitely give it a try, you will feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Promise :)
Butternut Squash Macaroni & Cheese with Caramelized Onions & SpinachPublished 10/23/2014
Sweet butternut squash, spicy hot italian sausage in a creamy cheese sauce with pasta!
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1/2 clove Frieda's elephant garlic (or 4 cloves regular garlic), chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, vertically sliced
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 2-1/2 cups almond milk
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 8 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- 1 lb uncooked pasta, cooked according to directions (I used cavatapi)
- 1 lb hot italian sausage, crumbled and cooked
- Preheat oven to 350.Combine squash, 1/2 tablespoon oil, sage, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Arrange squash mixture on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until squash is tender. While squash is roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to stock pot.
- Heat remaining oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté for 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking for 20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Place onion in a bowl.
- Heat 2 1/2 cups milk, and thyme in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Discard thyme. Return pan to medium heat. Combine remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. Add to pan, stirring with a whisk until blended. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in teaspoon salt, cheese, and nutmeg.
- Add spinach and hot sausage to cooked pasta. Pour cheese sauce over top of pasta mixture and stir to coat.
- Place pasta in a large casserole and sprinkle with Italian Seasoned Breadcrumbs. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 30 mins.
Total time: 70 mins.
Tags: Butternut Squash, Hot Italian Sausage, Spinach, Caramelized Onions, Cheese, Comfort Food, Pasta, Fall Food