These Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites are the easiest popcorn ball you will ever make, and that is a promise! The caramel is nice and chewy and the salty peanuts, toffee bits, and white chocolate in the recipe put this one at the top of all its competitors in the popcorn ball world. Its really hard to mess this one up and I know because I'm the biggest candy messer-upper of all time!
This week, the Sunday Supper family is celebrating the Oscars with food that will put you in a party mood. Well, when it comes to movies, who doesn't think popcorn? I decided I would make something special with my popcorn, something that always been a favorite of mine since my young days of trick or treating when our neighbor would give us homemade popcorn balls for our treat. This made popcorn balls a special occasion food for me because we never had them any other time when I was growing up.
This week our #SundaySupper event is being hosted by Katie of Ruffles & Truffles
These were so easy. You don't need a candy thermometer, you will just slowly boil the syrup on the stove for 5 minutes, stirring while boiling so it doesn't burn. I think the secret ingredient is the karo syrup and sweetened condensed milk. The latter being the ingredient that made it super successful. You need to let this mixture cool a little bit after pouring over the popcorn because it needs to cool down enough to not melt the white chocolate chips your adding to the mix. I found that after cooling, the chips still melted some, but that wasn't a big deal. They still turned out so yummy I had a hard time leaving them alone!
Be sure to check out the other party foods that the #SundaySupper family is bringing to you this week at the end of this post!
Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites
Sweet, salty, chewy, crunchy all filling your senses with these perfect little bites!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 5 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 cups air popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Place popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside until syrup is ready.
- Combine butter, sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, add condensed milk and continue to boil for 5 minutes. Stir constantly to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour butter mixture over popcorn and stir gently to coat completely. Set mixture aside to cool about 5 minutes. Toss in peanuts and white chocolate chips.
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup measure of popcorn mixture and shape into balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with fleur de sel. Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black and White Olive Cheese Puffs by Peaceful Cooking
- Cheddar Olives by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Chicken Boursin by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Citrus Avocado Shrimp Cocktail by Seduction in the Kitchen
- French Onion Sliders by Momma's Meals
- Herbed Butter and Cheese Popcorn by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Italian Guacamole with Pesto by Food Done Light
- Lobster Bruschetta by The Texan New Yorker
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Cheese Balls by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Moroccan Beef Kefta Briouat by Manu's Menu
- Mushroom Pate by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pea Pesto Crostini by Ruffles & Truffes
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Smoked Trout Stuffed Baby New Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
- Broccoli Calzones by eating in instead
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Oscar by Palatable Pastime
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Apple Ginger Martini by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
- Red Carpet Sparkler by Rhubarb and Honey
- Thank You Peary Much by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- 7-Layer Bark by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Caramel-Almond Latte Ricotta Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Champagne Truffles by Brunch with Joy
- Chocolate Covered Cherries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Decadent Flourless Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Edible Oscars Envelopes by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter Mousse Parfait Cups by Wallflour Girl
- Imitation Game Guinness Brownies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Strawberry Galette by Basic N Delicious
- Mini Strawberry & Chocolate Cheesecakes by Happy Baking Days
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Popcorn Puppy Chow by Pies and Plots
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
- DIY Glitter Vases by Sunday Supper Movement