My obsession with butternut squash continues. I know that enchiladas with black beans and butternut squash are not a novelty to a lot of people, but I finally decided to make them. I loved the smokey chili flavor cominbed with the sweet butternut squash - so much I had it for lunch 3 days in a row after our main meal! Today I am sharing my version, Chipotle Butternut Squash Enchiladas.
Chipotle Butternut Squash EnchiladasPublished 10/29/2014
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 2-15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 elephant garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Roast butternut squash in roasting pan with 1 tablespoon canola oil, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste. About 20 minutes
- Make Enchilada sauce. Place 1 cup oil in large dutch oven and heat until hot. Add garlic and onions and cook over medium heat until onions are soft. Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 1 hour
- To make filling, roast butternut squash with 1 tablespoon canola oil, salt and pepper to taste, until tender. About 20 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in 1 can black beans, chopped cilantro, and 1 cup of enchilada sauce.
- To prepare the enchiladas, Dip each tortilla into sauce to coat both sides (this is what will make the edges nice and crispy!). Spoon 2 Tablespoons filling onto each tortilla, top with 1 tablespoon cheese. Roll tortilla around filling. Place seam sides down in ungreased rectangular baking dish. 13x9x2 inches. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook uncovered in 350 degree oven until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
Prep Time: 01 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 1 hrs. 30 mins.
Tags: Butternut Squash, Black Beans, Chipotle, Enchilada, Mexican, Cilantro, Casserole, Cheese, Comfort Food