Yes, Spaghetti always reminds me of The Lady and the Tramp. You know, the part where Lady and Tramp get the same piece of spaghetti and meet in the middle with it? That is one of my mother’s favorite Disney movies!
Tonight I made spaghetti pie from Cooking Light. I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with the ground venison when I took it out this morning (I was actually contemplating easy and doing Hamburger Helper (GASP)!) But, on the way home from work inspiration struck and I actually thought of this dish that I haven’t made in many months.
This recipe can be played around with to suit your own tastes. Following is the original recipe with my changes in red.
from Cooking Light
1 lb ground round (I use ground venison)
1/4 tsp salt (I totally omitted this)
1/2 tsp pepper (I totally omitted this)
2 (8-oz) cans tomato sauce with garlic (I didn’t have tomato sauce so I used spaghetti sauce)
1-1/2 cups low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup chopped green onions (I didn’t have this so I finely chopped about 1/4 cup of regular onion)
1/4 cup (2 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese
4 cups hot cooked spaghetti (about 8 oz dry)
1-1/3 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar (I only had part-skim mozzarella)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cook meat in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned; stirring to crumble.
3. Drain well and return meat to pan
4. Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato sauce (this is where I just used spaghetti sauce and left out the salt and pepper)
5. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Combine the sour cream, onions, an cream cheese in a small bowl; set aside.
7. Place spaghetti noodles in 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
8. Spread sour cream mixture over spaghetti noodles.
9. Top with meat mixture; sprinkle with cheddar cheese; cover and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.