Counry Fried Steaks that are battered and fried then smothered in a mushroom gravy and served with a side of mashed potatoes. Pure comfort on a plate!
Recently I was admiring the blog of a friend, Grannyloohoo. Grumpy was sitting there with me on the couch admiring her peach pie on her new blog that she had posted. I went in to make a comment on her pie and Grumpy tells me, make sure you tell her it looks “scrumpdillyumptious!” Then he proceeded to tell me I needed to make something “scrumpdillyumptious” myself. I looked at him and said, “You’ve got to be kidding me!” I mean, the thoughts going through my head were, what is wrong with you? LOL. I’ve been cooking my behind off lately! So I said, just what is scrumpdillyumptious that I haven’t made lately? You see, he had to be very careful here…..if he wanted to continue eating in his future….at our home anyway! I think he got the hint because he said, he would like me to make a savory dish. LOLSo, I decided that since not so long ago he mentioned I hadn’t made contry fried steak in a long while, that I would do just that for dinner the first chance I had. I made a special stop at the grocery on my way home from work yesterday and bought some cube steak. Fortunately, that wasn’t sky rocketed in price and I was able to spend only $5 (on the meat only!) to fix his dinner. I serve this with homemade mashed potatoes (mashed with a little butter and sour cream). Here is how you can do it too:
Country Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy
Author: Grumpy's Honeybunch
Serves: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 2 large egg whites
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (4-ounce) sirloin cubed steaks
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1-1/3 cups fat free milk
- 2 cups mushrooms, quartered
- 2-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free, low salt beef broth
- Combine 3 tablespoons milk and egg whites in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk.
- Combine ⅓ cup flour and next 4 ingredients (1/3 cup flour through pepper) in a shallow dish. Working with 1 steak at a time, dip in egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining steaks, egg mixture, and flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Combine 2½ tablespoons flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, and broth, stirring with a whisk. Slowly add milk to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spoon over steaks. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- (serving size: 1 steak, about ⅓ cup gravy, and about 1 cup mashed potatoes)
- Calories: 436
- Fat: 14.7
- Dietaryfiber: 1.9
- Protein: 38.2
- Totalcarbs: 34.7