Daring Bakers make Chocolate Eclairs

This month’s recipe was chosen by Meeta of What’s for Lunch Honey? and her co-host, Tony of Olive Juice. A chocolate eclair recipe from Pierre Hermé!

I have made cream puffs many times in my life and I have even blogged about them. The challenging part to me was actually forming the pastry dough into an eclair shape. EH, I don’t think I did too awful bad.

The day I made the eclairs was the day we had a family tragedy and I didn’t get great photos. I was thinking because we like to eat these, I would make them again, but alas, I didn’t get the chance. I probably will attempt the eclair shape again. I didn’t have horrible luck. It isn’t often that I mess up cream puff dough (but it can happen!). My eclairs puffed up nicely and for the pastry cream I used the one I posted here – with butterscotch schnapps – totally by accident! I was going to use amaretto in the pastry cream and I grabbed the wrong bottle! Oh well, the pastry cream tasted great anyway!

To see what my fellow Daring Bakers did with their challenge this month, check out the blogroll. I had some pretty amazing previews in our DB Challenge forum so you don’t want to miss out!

Comments

Ohhh I think your “mistake” was definitely a keeper – butterscotch filling.. *swoon*

Another beautiful challenge, sweetie!!

xoxoxo

Oh dear…hope all is Ok now? This is a pretty neat challenge…good for you. Can imagine the amaretto fiasco…LOL..I put a tbsp of coffee into the kids milk this morning iso nesquick!! My kids couldn’t figure out what was wrong!! You should have seen their faces!!

Like the way your filled your eclairs and the raspberries are a great addition. I can imagine the butterscotch schnapps going so well with them.

HB, I hope things are as well as they can be for you. Always in visiting I see such a great optimism and acceptance of how things are in your posts!
    As for the butterscotch filled eclairs….what a perfect mistake they turned out to be!!!

“Accidents” like yours, like using the wrong liqueor in a recipe, are what leads to new and exciting food. Brownies were invented when a baker accidentally left the leavening agents out of a cake batter! Nice job.

Looks like a happy mistake indeed!! :-) I wish I could have tasted your experiment!

On another note though I am sorry to hear that you had a tragedy. I hope everything is ok!

These months always seem so short when trying to squeeze in the daring baker challenge and make it perfectly, huh? Don’t worry, your eclairs still look great!

Uuuh… raspberries inside sound delicious!
    Sorry you couldn’t enjoy yout éclairs so much due to your family tragedy. Hope everything is alright.

Oh, girlfriend, it's been much too long! Sorry for being absent for such a long time. I can see that you have been keeping quite busy.

Sorry to hear about family tragedy. I hope things are OK.

Your eclairs look divine! It sounds like you are a pro at these puff pastry – I could have used your mentoring (or at least your schnapps!).

Big kisses to you & I am back on track with keeping up with my favorite bloggers.

xoxox Amy

Sorry about the family tragedy, hope things are better soon.

The raspberries add such a freshness…wish I’d thought to add fresh fruit. It looks beautiful!

11. Anonymous says

I should have used Raspberries, they are my favorite…yours look wonderful! I wish I had more to eat now while looking at everyone’s. I’m hungry!

BonoboCakes

what?! your eclairs look beautiful!! Let me know whenever you want to make eclairs again and I’ll make them too :)
    (the pastry cream link didn’t open though… I’m dying for more pastry cream and the butterscotch addition sounds delicious! haha)

I’m so sorry to here about your family… I hope everything is better now.
    The éclairs are beautiful! I love the addition of fresh berries.

I hope everything’s okay with your family now? These look fabulous; butterscotch snapps pastry cream sounds like a very happy accident to me XD.

nice job! I love the raspberries. Im sorry to hear your family is going through a hard time. Life can be So unexpected at times. take comfort in each other.

it looks pretty damn good to me! love the raspberries peeking out from the glaze and the pastry cream. and butterscotch schnapps? I’d like to raid your liquor cabinet!!!