Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake

When I was younger, one of my favorite candy bars would be a snickers. I would first eat the chocolate, then eat the nougat, and finally, finish with the caramel and peanut part. Actually, I still eat a candy bar the same way today. Grumpy laughs at me. He says he has never seen anyone eat a candy bar like I do! I guess I just like to savor the different components of the candy bar rather than bite into it all at once! I actually ate my portion of this week’s treat in pretty much the same way….in sections!

This week for Tuesdays with Dorie, Tammy of Wee Treats by Tammy chose Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake on pages 264 and 265. I had just made another caramel smothered cake last week but mom and dad were coming over to visit and I decided to go ahead and make the TWD choice anyway. What wasn’t eaten here went to work. Yeah, I’m letting all the students and professors clean up my leftovers. They don’t complain though. Not if I am bringing it in! They actually complain if I don’t bring it in!

I was on a time crunch so I did not make the homemade caramel sauce for this. Instead I melted caramels with some heavy cream and stirred the peanuts in then spread on top like I did for the salted caramel walnut topped apple cake! If I had more time, I probably would have gone with Dorie’s homemade caramel sauce.
My verdict? The cake part was really good. I bought kettle cooked peanuts (Planters) and I think they were almost too crunchy. If I were to make it again then the next time I would use regular peanuts. I also would take the time to make Dorie’s caramel sauce instead of melting the caramels. However, that all said….I still didn’t have to throw any away! Mom and Dad both liked it. Grumpy offered his opinion – he didn’t like it at all. I would say because the peanuts were too crunchy for him. He doesn’t like crunchy food. Chris had a piece and I don’t even remember if he said anything about it. Must be it didn’t blow him away either. However, I took the rest to work the next day and nobody complained. Will I make it aain? Maybe if someone requested it. Probably not otherwise.
To see how the other TWD participants fared with their brownie cakes, check out our blogroll!
Oh! and a reminder….don’t forget to come back on Thursday, October 9, 2008 to enter the chance to win a box of delicious St. Lawrence Chocolates!

Comments

I love the caramel and peanuts dripping down the side. My peanuts weren’t crunchy at all, they were actually softer after sitting in the caramel for a while I think. I’m glad your parents liked it!

I want that chocolate. Gimme chocolate. So sorry. I got sidetracked there. (Seriously. I want the purdy chocolate.) Definitely give Dorie’s caramel a try next time. I’ve made caramel from caramel candies before and its good but Dorie’s caramel was awesome!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

The photo looks fabulous and very, very good. I will give Dorie’s caramel another try, but I also like your fallback method. I love melted caramel! I could eat the whole pot!

My peanuts weren’t overly crunch. This reminded me so much of a Snicker’s bar. Especially after a few hours when the caramel had really set.

Your cake looks wonderful–great pictures! Oddly enough, even though I don’t like peanuts all that much, I do like Snickers. But I wasn’t sure I’d like a whole cake of caramely peanuts.

When I saw your cake photo before I read that you didn’t make Dorie’s caramel I was going to ask what you did differently with it because it looks so perfect! Now I know, your melted caramels look so delicious! Those St. Lawrence chocolates look amazing too :)

This looks wonderful! Lucky, lucky students and professors! If I ever make this again, I am definitely making caramel your way — Dorie’s way did not work out so well for me. I think I shared your reaction to the cake in general — it was good, but not “blow me over” good.

Haha… that’s a weird way too eat your snickers indeed, but the whole point is to enjoy it and if you like each component separately, go for it!
    Your cake looks delicious. I’m glad you liked it.

Your cake looks amazing to me! I have had your blogged tagged, along with probably hundred’s of others and have a hard time keeping up with all of them, but just spent some time browsing through yours as I haven’t for a good month or so (sorry), but you’ve sure got a lot of yummy looking stuff on here. I’m going to move it up on my list! 😉
    I especially LOVE the NY Times JT chocolate chip cookies and have made them a ton of time. They are my favorite ccc. I can’t even think about them, or I’ll get a hankerin’ to make them again. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Looks wonderful – I think your caramel sauce sounds like a great time saver (which I’ll keep filed away for when the time comes for a quick caramel sauce – thanks)!