Cookies for Lt. Hopper

Have you heard of Operation Baking Gals? We are a group of bakers who bake goodies and send them to soldiers who are serving our country. If you are interested in joining us, click here for more info!

What could be more special than Nutella? Maybe Nutella Biscotti made especially for a soldier?

Or how about peanut butter cookies?

I joined up with Mare of Meet me in the Kitchen to send to 1st Lieutenant Hopper who is stationed at Fort Wainwright, Alaska and deployed at present to Iraq. He serves in the United States Military because he loves freedom and knows that it comes at a cost on this earth. He upholds and defends the Constitution and “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” Some of Carl’s favorite things are: working out, fishing, playing basketball, watching the Andy Griffith Show, and eating sweets. He has 5 lovely children and a beautiful wife. His birthday is coming up in November, so So I am joining in in wishing him a happy one!

To view the recipe for the Nutella Biscotti visit the Baking Bites blog.

The peanut butter cookie recipe comes from “Feeder’s Digest” which is a cookbook that was put together by locals in the Dekalb-Hermon Senior Citizens club back in 1974. I know my grandmother had a hand in how I ended up with one of these books, but I don’t quite remember how. I mean, 1974 I was only 11 years old! I recognize a few of the names in the book, but not many. I mostly recognize the “family name.” This peanut butter cookie recipe was compliments of Juanita Price in Ogdensburg and I will give you the recipe exactly as it was in the book:

1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. crisco
1 c. peanut butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2-1/2 c. flour

Mix together well. Roll in balls. Flatten with fork and bake at 375.

That is it. No time was mention as to how long to bake them so I had to watch. It took about 8-10 minutes. Now, for the really interesting part. I was quite busy yesterday. Not only was I going to make these cookies, but I had the TWD treat in progress AND I had a party to go to. I don’t know how I did this, but when I made these cookies I totally did NOT add the granualted sugar!! How could I have missed this? AND I didn’t realize that I forgot the granualted sugar until this morning writing the post!! They don’t look or taste any worse for the wear, but I thought I should let you know that I messed up! In any case, they taste fine (like I said I didn’t know this this morning and I did try a cookie last evening!) and I’m sure the soldiers will enjoy them1

Tune in tomorrow for another goof up by HoneyB.

Comments

Nutella biscotti???? MUST MAKE NOW!!!!

I love what you all do for Operation Baking Gals! I know firsthand how much our soldiers love getting packages! Thanks for sending love their way!

These look great. I hate when I forget ingredients. I’m usually pretty good about getting in, but a few months ago I forgot to add SALT to bread dough! I figured it out just as I was about to put the loaves in the oven, so I added it in at the last second, but it was a close one

I love the story of that cookbook. I have a tatterd copy of a community cookbook from the 1940s, my father’s mother died when he was 11, but she has a recipe in there and it means so much to me.

I LOVE both types, the peanut butter and the nutella ones…it is so nice of you to be doing this.
    In our country, we don’t have any soldiers who are based outside the country so we don’t have such things here.

These both turned out really great! They look delicious. I am sure Carl will be very happy to get them! I am going to check out that Nutella Biscotti and make some for me.
    Thanks for being a part of my team.

That is a great cause for sure. The troops love home baked goods. Love the story about the peanut butter cookies and not adding sugar. I did that once and forgot the baking soda- they were rocks! I bet it is hard to send cookies without them getting crushed. When I sent them to my hubby I tried everyting and some still broke. I guess you have a special way to wrap them?

When I was just starting out on my own, my favorite Aunt gave me the recipe to her “world’s best” pie crust. I excitedly made it, took a taste, and almost gagged. It was gross. I called her up to chew her out, and as I was reciting the recipe to her, she realized she never wrote down salt. lol

Anyway, what’s up the 1 c shortening, and 1 c crisco….aren’t they the same thing?

I love the idea of sending baked goods to soldiers. Unfortunately, receiving a batch of my baked goods would not be a comfort to the man or woman who receives them…

Those Nutella biscotti look amazing!