Rum-Glazed Banana Bundt Cake and an award.

Yup. That’s my Grumpy up there in his best pose. Tounge sticking out and walking away. ha ha. He was taking off to enjoy some supper before he dug into the dessert I made tonight. The main comment I hear from him? Are you making this so we can have it or are you taking it all to work? Yeah, right. He makes it sound like I don’t give him any of the food I cook.

Before I bring you my Bundt cake tonight I have an award that was passed on to me from Val of More than Burnt Toast. I am not sure how I found Val’s blog, but it is one of the very first blogs I found and started reading a little more than a year ago. Val was sweet enough to include me in sharing the love and gave me the Inspiration award and I feel so honored to have received this from her. Thanks Val! There are so many bloggers that I thoroughly enjoy and it is not easy to pick just a few. I have decided to mention the few that have really been an inspiration to me recently. I will go ahead and pass this award onto:

Mari of Once Upon a Plate. Her photos are absolutely gorgeous and they inspire me to make her recipes!

Stephanie of Fun Foods on a Budget. In todays tight financial times it is nice to have someone like Stephanie out there inspiring us all to be more thrifty and showing us how to make tasty, beautiful dishes without spending too much money!

Megan of Megan’s Munchies. Megan posts so often! She has great ideas and she is a pumpkin girl just like me. She inspired me to make so many pumpkin desserts earier this fall (now you know!) :)

Fit Chick of Lady Craddock’s Bakery. WOW. Have you seen this lady? She is one fit woman! She actually inspired me to go join the gym when I joined 3 weeks ago. I’m actually doing weight lifting along with my cardio. I knew I needed to hit the gym after making so much food and having so much of it around here. She was my inspiration to join!

and last, but not least, one of my very special friends whom I met on a cooking forum prior to blogging…

Carrie of Vegan Deliciousness. Carrie inspires me to eat healthier and to eat meat free more often. Every time I see a tofu dish in particular, I really, really want to make it. Hmm. Come to think of it Grumpy won’t be around for dinner on the weekend since he will be hunting with his daddy. I think I’m going to buy some tofu tomorrow! :-p

****************************************************************************

Now, what do you do when your bananas look like this?

Well, tonight I took out my new Nordicware Bunt pan and did this!

This quick and easy recipe is originally a cooking light recipe. I made some changes tonight because I didn’t have margarine (I just plain don’t cook with it) and I didn’t have egg substitue. Honestly, I very rarely have egg substitue in my frigde. Also, because I didn’t have margarine and used unsalted butter, I did add a 1/2 teaspoon salt to my recipe. To view the original recipe in Cooking Light form, you can click here. The way I made it is below.

Rum Glazed Banana Bundt Cake

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum or 1/4 teaspoon imitation rum extract
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Beat brown sugar and 2/3 cup margarine at medium speed of a mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg substitute, beating until well-blended.
Combine banana, yogurt, vanilla, and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside. Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. With mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
Pour batter into a 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
Combine powdered sugar, rum, and melted margarine; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
Note: When using rum extract add 2 tablespoons skim milk to glaze.

Comments

I’ve never made bundt cake before and don’t have a tube pan but this recipe sure makes me think about getting a tube pan just to try it out!

Did you sneak over here and take a picture of my bananas? :) The cake looks great and Grumpy made me laugh!

Congrats on your award! You are an inspiration to me and you totally deserve the award!

3. Jessie says

Oh I love my bundt pans! This looks great! What a great shape and your icing is perfect!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

awww, I’m so flattered! Thanks! Enjoy your tofu this weekend!

Would you believe I’ve never had a bundt cake? EVER? I should look for a bundt cake pan on sale so I can whip one up…they always look so pretty!

I, too have banannas that look like that, so afterwork, I just might make this. I am so jealous, as my bundt cakes never look so good.
    and…4:30 a.m.? You were up at 4:30 a.m.
    let’s see….I got up at midnight and was up until 1:30 p.m. west coast time, so we could have just e-mailed. LOL

That cake looks so delicious! I don’t like rum flavor, so I would probably play around with the extract in the glaze a bit, maybe maple…hmm…oh the possibilities!

Thanks so much for the award! It makes me feel so special to know that there are people reading and enjoying my cheapo recipes! :-)

I buy bananas every week just so I know I’ll have some that will get overripe like that… I have to make banana bread on a weekly basis for my oldest! That cake looks so moist and delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Congrats on your award!

I love how you share candid shots of your friends & family, HoneyB!! They make me smile.

WOW! That is some fabulous looking Bundt cake, so nice and tall. I'll bet it tastes fabulous, too. We love rum flavoring, what a great complement to the bananas.

Ahem, I don't think I've ever wanted those bananas on the counter to OVER-ripen as quickly as possible as much as I do right now, so I can make this recipe. :)

(I'm coveting your new Bundt pan, I really like the way the glaze drizzles down.)

Oh my goodness what a NICE surprise to receive this award. Thank you so much for thinking of me, you really touch my heart!
    Thank you again! xo ~m.

Hi HoneyB!

Big Congrats for your award!

Wow..a magical transformation of these bananas to this delicious bundt cake 😉
    I like a lot rum in cakes, it gives a wonderful flavor to the same.

Gera .:. sweetsfoods

I love your photos. When my bananas go brown I tend to freeze them for smoothies. I like your idea better. The consistency of the cake looks soooo yummmmmy. Don’t get me started on the glaze. Stunning.

Congrats on the award and THANK YOU SO MUCH for passing it on to me! I am so excited to receive an award from one of my favorite food bloggers!!

Your cake is amazing. I would love a piece for my afternoon snack!

Thanks for the good wishes for my Shelby! Great name…huh?

I love your bundt pan and the banana recipe sounds so good!

Thank you for your award, I’m flattered and still blushing; and VERY happy you joined the gym.
    I appreciate your comments!

If I saw that cake on the counter, I would want to know if I would be having some, too! What an awesomely iced (and beautifully shaped) cake!

Wow, another award?? Congratulations!! This bundt cake looks amazing, unfortunately I always tend to have those kind of bananas laying around so I stopped buying them unless I absolutely need them for a recipe.
    I needed some yesterday when I had a craving for my Leek and Ground Beef Ovendish and had to go out and buy them..

Congrats on your award!! Very well deserved as you have MANY yummy dishes and desserts here.

Now on to the cake. I have to admit that if the icing, frosting, glaze, or whatever tops the dessert looks good I’ll give it a try. Well, your glaze is shouting my name! YUM! And your cake looks so moist.
    ~ingrid