White Hot Spiced Chocolate

Sometimes there is nothing more comforting and warming on a bitter cold evening than hot chocolate. Last evening, after being pampered all morning, then at the movies with the kids, I wanted to warm up and be cozy on my couch for a little while. Yes, to answer Cathy’s question on my last post, I was alone for dinner because Grumpy is off hunting this weekend. So, he didn’t get any of the steak, but he had the steak burgers earlier in the week. 😉

I have the recent Cooking Light issue and in this issue they have a LOT of great sounding recipes. I’ll be making more than a few of them over the next few weeks.

White Hot Spiced Chocolate
Cooking Light, November 200

3 cups 1% low-fat milk
1/8 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
1/2 cup premium white chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
Grated whole nutmeg (optional)

Combine milk, nutmeg, and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Add white chocolate chips, stirring until chips melt. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Discard cinnamon stick. Serve with whipped topping. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, if desired.

Makes 8 servings, Calories: 117 (38% from fat), Fat: 5g (sat 4.1g,mono 0.3g,poly 0.0g), Protein: 3g, Fiber: 0.0g

Comments

This sounds wonderful: now I want to make it tonight….. One tiny problem: I don’t have any cinnamon sticks lying about in the house and shops are closed here on sundays. Do you think I could use ordinary powdered cinnamon? And if so, what would be the right ammount??

Well that looks pretty yummy and perfect for this bitter northeast weather! I just got back from walking the dog and a cup of that warm sweetness would suit me just fine.

I love it that you cooked a steak just for you. Years ago when all four kids were living at home, I went to my parents empty house in Vermont for a week long writing retreat all by myself. It was the first time I ever cooked a steak and I enjoyed every bite!

Yay a lighter version of such a wonderful drink. When I was first married, Himself and I enjoyed this White hot chocolate on Christmas mornings. But we got so full and sleepy! So I am happy to see the lite version. Thanks, I can make this again, and drink it too!

Hi HoneyB!

Wow a big delight…nutmeg, white chocolate, cinnamon a perfect and delicious combination!!
    I can eat this even in summer :)

Gera .:. sweetsfoods

I’ve printed this out and am going to make this for my children. All three love white chocolate. I know it will be great after a cold night of baseball practice! Plus I won’t have to make dessert, just this!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~ingrid

I imagine myself at a ski resort after a day of boarding, body all sore, but relaxing and cozying up with this wonderful cup of spiced white chocolate.. Now I want a whip creamed mustache!