We have had the crappiest weather. We go from rain, to snow, to ice, to rain, to snow and what the weather underground this morning calls a snow freezing fog. Yesterday all our snow was gone. We were left with some puddles of ice here and there with a huge ice spot where else but at the bottom of our driveway! augh. So, last night when I got home I “backed” up the driveway. I had to make a few attempts since I stopped right on the ice and couldn’t get all the way up. Our driveway is at a slope then when you get to the top, it can slope down the other way. I made the mistake already this year of pulling into that down slope and got stuck at home after a huge snowstorm. I was preparing myself so I could drive right down and out of our driveway this morning. I probably could. But I won’t be.
Silly me. After I got in the house I put my stuff away and walked out the front door to get the mail. I didn’t bother to turn the front porch light on, I figured the floodlight in the back of the driveway would be enough. Mind you, it is pretty dark already but I can see some of a glow anyway. I’m walking down to the mailbox and just a few feet before I get there I slip and I fall – landing on my left forearm. I’m left handed. I do most everything with that side!. We all know I tried to stop that fall or I would have just landed on my butt. So, I whimpered my way through the night, landed back on the couch at about 1 AM where Rudy and Chubby decided to race through the house and make all kinds of noise. Finally after my 100th millionth threat to throw them out in the snow around 2:30 they settled down and I turned the TV on real low. (Lifetime) I eventually fell asleep until I heard Grumpy’s alarm going off upstairs at about 5:15 AM. Needless to say, my backside doesn’t hurt, but I can’t lift my arm without a lot of pain. I’m sure I didn’t do anything major and I’m just going to be sore a few days but now today I’m going to be trying to keep the pain under control and try to get some sleep that my pain in the butt cats haven’t allowed me to get. Yeah, I still love them but last night I didn’t love them so much. lol
Now that I have whined to you all about my pain and misery I’ll tell you about the Eggnog Thumbprints I made earlier this week. The cookies I didn’t want to stop eating.
The cookies that even Grumpy liked (they are soft). The cookies I took to work on Monday and was scolded for doing so on a day when we also had a holiday luncheon. Just in case you are reading this: Yes, Jan, I’m talking about you. How dare you scold me 😉 !!
I’m all talked out so I’ll just tell you they are delicious. Especially that filling. Its creamy and yummy and I couldn’t get enough of that rummy filling in the center of the cookie.
- I used rum. I just like it. What can I say? ha!
- I didn’t “spoon” the filling. I used one of those amazing Wilton disposable piping bags. Works beautifully.
- I did NOT get 50 cookies. I probably got about 2-1/2 dozen. I do not know how they got 50 cookies using 1″ balls. I think that has got to be a misprint. If anyone else makes these and actually gets 50 cookies, please tell me how you did it!
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon rum *
- In a large mixer bowl beat ¾ cup butter till softened. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat til fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and salt and beat well. Add flour and beat til well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down centers with thumb. Bake in a 350 degree oven about 12 minutes or till done. Remove and cool.
- For filling, in a small mixer bowl beat ¼ cup butter til softened. Add powdered sugar and beat till fluffy. Add rum and beat well. Spoon about ½ teaspoon filling into center of each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Chill till filling is firm. Makes about 50.