Chickpea and Corn Patties

Sometimes I just crave vegetarian foods. As I sit here this morning, looking at this photo, I could dig right into another one of these….but I will contain myself! One of the hardest parts of being a “foodie” and a cook is leaving well enough alone. I admit, I’m having a harder time lately and therefore I have resorted back to my cooking light recipes.

I attended a boarding school in my high school years that served only vegetarian foods. My mom also made vegetarian meals at home, so for me this wasn’t a horrible thing. I really crave some of these foods at times. Since last evening Grumpy wasn’t particularly in the mood for anything I decided to make these Chickpea and Corn Patties. He promised me he would try them – he’s good like that. He didn’t care for these but I really liked them! Guess I know what I will be eating for lunch the next few days – but I certainly won’t mind!

Chickpea and Corn Patties
Cooking Light Complete

2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1-1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2 ears) (I just used canned corn – no fresh corn in the middle of winter here and no frozen corn in my freezer!)
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (19 oz) can chickpeas, rinced and drained
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 teaspoons cornmeal
cooking spray
1/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/4 cup bottled salsa
Thyme sprigs (optional)

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, and minced thyme. Saute 2 minutes. Place onion mixture, chickpeas, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons cornmeal, salt and red pepper in a food processor. Pulse 8 times or until combined and chunky.

Divide chickpea mixture into 8 equal portions (I used a 1/4 cup measure and it worked out perfectly!), shaping each into 1/2 inch thick patty; dredge in cornmeal. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties; cook 5 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 4 minutes or until golden. Repeat procedure with 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining patties. Serve with fat-free sour cream and salsa. Garnish with thyme sprigs if desired. Yield: 4 servings (2 patties equals 1 serving), 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 tablespoon salsa.

261 calories, 5.7 grams fat, 6.1 grams fiber
WW points: 5

Comments

This looks so good to me! I love patties/cakes like this and can be a meal in itself or a wonderful side to a big meal. I will book mark this to make soon. Thanks for pointing out these great Cooking Light recipes!

These sound great and I sent the recipe off to my vegetarian SIL. She will love these! Somuch better for her too that those Boca Burgers she eats!!

Thanks for the comments everyone! I have to say these were BETTER today. I made them Saturday night. I think the patties had more flavor after sitting in my fridge a day and half! I also ended up leaving the sour cream off today and used more salsa. If your inclined to like this type of food, you will definitely like this patty so I encourage you to try it!

4. Katypi says

Now I just LOVE corn and chickpeas. I’d be willing to bet I’d really enjoy these. I’m going to put this on my to-do list. What else did you make to go along with these or are they intended to be a meal by themselves?

Emily- you bet his loss is my gain (sometimes in more ways than I want 😉 hehe).

Katie – I don’t always listen to Grumpy either…he’s kinda gotten used to that though! If I started doing everything his way he would wonder what was wrong with me! Variety is the spice of life for sure!

Katypi, I didn’t make anything else to go with them. It was a lazy night, Grumpy wasn’t really hungry, and all I wanted was those patties! LOL You can make them a meal on their own served with a veggie or as a side to a meat dish, maybe a spicy meat dish…Yum!

I have been down and out with a terrible cold Shelby and missed some of your posts, I have to go back and see what I missed! THese look so good!

I like vegetarian food just fine but I don’t always have good luck with veggie patties. The cornmeal in these makes me think I should try these. :)

A vegetarian boarding school? Wild!

WOW!!what a delish…love love love this…corn and chickpeas combo is simply wonderful…i am going to make this..thanks for the recipe!!! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It helped me discover your wonderful space!
    Patties are a favorite in my home. I make a spiced up Indian version of these.:)