Junior Mint Brownies

What is it that makes us all think of the same thing (or food) at the same time? What is it about brownies lately that have us all thinking about them? I’m not sure what the answer is to that question. Maybe its because we all (guys and girls!) are having chocolate cravings?

Of course, I am trying to make things in the house healthier so Grumpy doesn’t blame me anymore for his getting fat. (did I just say that?!?) Cooking Light has a lot of brownie recipes. I have earmarked a few recipes that I want to try and if they turn out and are scrumptious, I will share them with you.

Which brings us to today’s post. The Junior Mint Brownie, published in Cooking Light, March 1999 magazine. Ten years later I am finally making it. I don’t know why it took me so long. I love chocolate, I love brownies, and I love mint. I can tell you this….I won’t wait another 10 years before I make this recipe again! Try it….and see for yourselves!

Junior Mint Brownies
Cooking Light, March 1999

Cooking spray
1/4 cup butter
32 (about 3 ounces) creamy, small-size mints in pure chocolate (such as Junior Mints)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Coat bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
Combine butter and mints in a 2-cup glass measure; microwave at high 30 seconds or until soft. Stir until smooth, and set aside.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour, soda, and salt in a bowl. Combine sugar, cocoa, egg, and egg white in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add mint mixture; beat well. Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean; cool completely on a wire rack.
This makes 16 brownies at 121 calories per brownie!

Want to try some other luscious looking brownies? These sites have been tempting me with their yummy chocolatey goodness! Below are other bloggers who have been thinking about brownies too!

Brownies
by Matt’s Kitchen
Brownies with Caramel Creme Fraiche by Chocolate Shavings
“Baked” Brownies by The Spiced Life
Nutella Chocolate Fudge Brownies by Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases

Comments

Wow thwsw are super I love mint and chocolate ! I wonder if I could find some chocolate mint ‘balls’ around ! About saltines (a bit late..) we have them and just call them ‘i ritz’ !! Baci

I made another CL brownie recipe… it should be posted by Friday. These look great, not sure how I missed marking them to try! They go on the list now!

Junior Mints are usually my movie theater treat but now I have reason to have them at home. Mr. Noodle will love these – chocolate and mint combo is his favorite! Thank you for saving then sharing this recipe.

Great idea for junior mints! Everytime I think of junior mints of think of that Seinfeld episode when Kramer dropped a junior mint down into someone getting sugery. Did you see that one? Anyway these look so fudgy and yummy!

Your comment re: Grumpy cracked me up! These look great–I might need to make MORE brownies soon! Do you think they would work well with miniature baking York peppermint patties also? I have some sitting in the cupboard….

If there were a jr. mint to be had anywhere in Mexico I would be baking these! I am bound to bake a batch of brownies soon after you & Mistress have made me dream of chocolate in it's highest form! Beautiful brownie photos!

I loved junior mints as a kid.I will be making these. What a brilliant combination! I even have the recipe for these in one of my Cooking Light books. How did I never notice it before? Thanks for sharing it!

Oh! You found my weak spot with this one… I am a chocolate monster and I am certain I could eat a whole pan of this exceedingly moist looking batch of brownies! The addition of the choco-mints is a nice touch! Mint chocolate treats have always been one of my weaknesses… Glutton that I can be, I used to eat entire boxes of “After-Eight” mints in one sitting :-) Gulp!

Hey Girl!
    Thanks for the link love! All of a sudden I started getting a number of hits from your blog! I’m thinking, what’s up? And there’s a link to my Nutella Brownies! Thanks! I owe you one!