Italian Sausage Sandwiches

Do you ever get in a slump where you have no idea what you are going to do for dinner? Believe it or not, I am in that slump often. I want to make something Grumpy likes so I will ask him what he might suggest and this is how it will go: “I don’t know” or “I’m not hungry, I can’t think of anything right now”. It can be so frustrating! A simple “lets have such and such” would sometimes make my life so much easier! I have a feeling it is this way in a lot of homes….at least my co-worker gets what I’m talking about when I mention it to her so I don’t think I am alone here.

I make sure I am happy too…I mean, look at all the baked goodies I have been making lately. Believe me, that isn’t for Grumpy’s happiness. He’s not a super big sweets person. I’m the sugar monger in the house. I like to believe that I am like my Nanny in every way. I have a big heart, love my family immensely, hate to see anyone hurt, and have a big sweet tooth. ;o) I probably have the nagging part down pretty good too. hehehe

The other evening was one of those nights that I had no idea what to make. I hadn’t taken any meat out of the freezer and didn’t have a clue. So, on my way home from work I gave Grumpy a call. No answer. After I put gas in my car I gave him another call. Still no answer. I headed on home thinking what am I going to fix? By the time I was 2 miles from home (and had already decided what I was making) Grumpy called me back. Too late. He didn’t get a choice anymore. I had already decided – but I will say, he was not unhappy at all and commented that they were really good this time. I think its because I added some vinegar as suggested by Elle in her post on Italian Sausage Sandwiches!

Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches

1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large green or red bell peppers, or a mixture of both, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
1 large onions, sliced
1 large cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 pounds Italian Sweet Sausage Links
8 hoagie or steak sandwich rolls

Heat olive oil in large sauté over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until slightly wilted. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add peppers and seasonings; stir to combine. (this is where I added a couple tablespoons of vinegar) Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid to evaporate liquids. Meanwhile, place sausages in frying pan and cook until browned on all sides and thoroughly done. Place cooked sausages in pan with peppers to keep warm. To serve, place a sausage in roll and top with peppers and onions as desired. (I slice my sausage, while Grumpy keeps his whole – fix yours however you like!) I toast our rolls – we like our rolls for all our sandwiches (hamburger, hotdogs, sausages) sprayed with some I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter and broiled in the toaster oven.

Comments

I love Italian sausages. I don’t make them often but always get them at fairs! I know what you mean about not knowing what to cook. I find myself with that dilemma often!!!

Sausage and pepper sandwiches…NY State Fair, Italian festivals in town. Those are the images I get when I think of the lovely aroma of these yummy sandwiches. I have gotten to making these with turkey hot Italian sausage and they are very good.

Yum. My husbands the same way – he never has meal ideas. I have been in a slump lately too – thankfully I have great cookbooks that I checked out from the library to give me inspiration.

Wow, these sandwiches look wonderful! I’m always on the lookout for easy and delicious dinners, and this looks perfect. I’d love to try it with the Italian turkey sausage. Love your blog!

I always feel like I’m in a slump for dinner…

This looks AWESOME and would be loved at our house. This is a great go to meal…sausage can be easily defrosted too. Looks great!!

Gah! My husband does that too! After a while I got wise to it, so every time he would not answer the phone I would make something that I knew was not exactly his favorite. When he would try to complain I would say “well I called you three or four times about dinner honey”. He got wise to it to. Now he just picks up!

Shelby, Oooh everything looks perfect.

I always add a bit of vinegar too. Love how the red pepper & onions add such a nice contrast to the sausage (I think they are my favorite part of the sandwich!) :)

Yes! I can empathize about "what to make for dinner?", too. xo~m.

That is an exquisite on-the-fly sandwich. I get in slumps all the time. This new “theme night” is working amazingly well. Hope all is well over there with you and your family.

I am so glad I wandered into your blog! I plan to come back and get inspired whenever I am in the what-to-fix-for-dinner rut.

I have an unrelated question: what template are you using for your blog? It looks very nice.

mmmm….love these sandwiches! And you are right, we do have to get our husbands out of the box every once in a while. If left up to them, it would be meat and potatoes, potatoes and meat.

I do get stumped with what to eat, despite having so many good blogs and bookmarked recipes to try.

Italian sausage and pork usually works for me.