Brown sugar roasted bananas…in a cake!

Whenever I buy a bunch of bananas I always know that I am going to have to use some of them to bake something. We just never eat them up quick enough! This time when I bought bananas it was with the intent to make these bars!

I found this recipe in my most recent issue of Cooking Light. The title in itself sounded tempting. I knew, without a doubt, I would be trying this recipe! It is different in the fact that the bananas are roasted in the oven with brown sugar and butter – before incorporating into the batter.

The house smelled wonderfully banana like while the bananas and brown sugar were roasting. Once the mixture came out and cooled a bit I had to try some of the banana and brown sugar….don’t tell me you wouldn’t do the same! ;o)

These bars didn’t travel too far from home. Grumpy is eating them along with moi! I did take a few to drop off to my kids!!

I have to mention here to Cristine (who tickled me to death by telling me in a comment she had to get her “Shelby” fix) that if she were closer to NY she could have some too! I hope she is enjoying her visit to AZ!

Roasted Banana Bars with Browned Butter-Pecan Frosting Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2009

Bars:
2 cups sliced ripe banana (about 3 medium)
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
9 ounces cake flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
Baking spray with flour

Frosting:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup (3 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Preheat oven to 400°.To prepare bars, combine banana, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon butter in an 8-inch square baking dish. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes, stirring after 17 minutes. Cool slightly.Reduce the oven temperature to 375°.Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 9 ounces (about 2 1/4 cups) flour, soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Combine banana mixture, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in another medium bowl. Place 1/2 cup butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs to granulated sugar mixture; mix well. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternating with banana mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.Pour batter into a 13 x 9–inch baking pan coated with baking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.To prepare frosting, melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Combine browned butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer until smooth. Spread frosting over cooled bars. Sprinkle with pecans.Calories: 221 Fat: 8.4g (sat 4.7g,mono 2.3g,poly 0.6g) Protein: 2.3gCarbohydrate: 35.1gFiber: 0.6gCholesterol: 39mgIron: 1mgSodium: 117mgCalcium: 23mg

Comments

Oh yummy. I buy a huge bunch of bananas every week thinking it will last me the week but alas, having two hungry boys in the house, we always go through them in a few days. Perhaps if I bought two huge bunches we’d have enough left to make this beautiful cake.

I don’t really care for bananas, but love them in desserts. This sounds great — those pictures are making my mouth water. So happy to have found your blog!!

Joy – definitely buy extra bananas for this! They don’t have to be super ripe either since you cook them in brown sugar!

Poodle – I’m glad you found me too! Happy to make your mouth water!

Megan – it did smell bananalicious!

Reeni – as long as you feed me, I’ll bring the bars! ;0)

Yum, yum, yum! Those sound & look so good. We love banana desserts! Of course even if we didn't love (brown sugar roasted) banana desserts we do love some browned butter frosting pecan frosting!!! I will be making this soon! I already printed out the recipes. THANKS!
    ~ingrid

I made a cake last week from left over bananas. No matter how hard I try to use them before they become over ripe, I always seem to have a few left over. I love Banana cake but my dh and son are not fans. :>(
    Of course, there was more cake for me.:>)

This looks like another good solution to the banana dilemma.

Lovely – just made some banana bread (well, cake, really) the other day and it can’t be beat :) Those bars sound like a really interesting twist on bananas-in-cake though!

That looks so delicious! It’s funny though, we often have bananas left over as well, but if I buy them with the intent of using the leftovers, everyone eats them too fast and there aren’t any more to bake with! Grrr…

I found your post through foodgawker. As it happens, I made this recipe from CL over the weekend for a party and it was a huge hit: preferred 2 to 1 over Texas Sheet cake (gooey chocolate cake).

One bit of advice, if you like frosting, multiply the frosting recipe by 1.5 as I did.

I have never heard of cooking the bananas that way for cake before. Wow I bet that makes it the best! Will have to try this out as my middle little loves banana cake/bread. You sure do find some great recipes to share. I SU’d this!