Devils food white out! TWD

Yeah, I’m kinda caked out. No, we didn’t have cake one day after another. I did make this cake a couple of weeks ago and shared it with my son and his wife. Grumpy really liked this cake and my son Justin who isn’t a big chocolate eater liked it also. I believe the word from Kristina was that she liked her chocolate cake to be “more chocolate.” I think this would have been more chocolatey if I had put the chocolate chips in the cake, but I skipped that step.

This cake kind of reminded me of the Mayonnaise cake my nanny would make me for my birthday. I still think I like the Mayonnaise cake better, but the frosting is basically the same thing. I’m a little notstalgic at writing this because yesterday was the anniversary of my nanny’s death. I miss her so much and always will. She was one person I could count on to be there for me and love me no matter what – even if I was wrong. Nobody can replace her in my heart but I can only hope that she lives on in me and that my kids will remember me as I remember her.

This weeks TWD choice comes from Stephanie of Confessions of a City Eater chose Devils Food White Out Cake, pages 247-249 of Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From my home to yours. You can view the recipe by clicking here.

To see the results of the other TWD bakers you can check out our blogroll!

Comments

I’m glad you enjoyed the cake! We did too, and I think the chocolate chips made the cake to be honest. They added that extra oomph :) Sorry about your grandma, HUGS!

Your cake looks wonderful! Sorry about missing your nanny-and I have to say I find I connect with my lost loved ones when I am in the kitchen…making things they made, and making my house smell the way I remember. It’s bittersweet, but ultimately comforting to know that I’m carrying on where they left off–or so I’d like to think so! Hope you feel the same way.

Hugs, HoneyB. I miss my grams every single day, and I know how hard it is. Even though she lived a few oceans away, she loved me so much I felt like she was right here with me.

Your cake is beautiful!

Ciao ! I’m sorry for the sorrow you (and we all) feel for our loved ones who are not longer here. I can just send you a super hug !!

The cake is super !

Your nanny sounds just wonderful. I love that food can evoke such powerful memories; this must be a huge part of why we bake/cook in the first place. Judging by the treats you share on your blog, your kids will have just as many wonderful memories of you!

That cake looks divine! Yours turned out so beautifully.

LOL about being caked out. I know what you mean, though. I’ve almost reached my sugar saturation point, and I’m thinking about VEGETABLES! Gasp!

Of course your cake looks perfect and fabulous. I expected no less. You just have to show me up don’t you? hee hee. You are a fabulous cook!! Love the cake.

Aww, so sweet about your Nanny. Luckily you have some sweet things to remember her by. This was was good, but I’ll have to say the chocolate pieces were great in the layers. Yours is absolutely beautiful and I’m glad it was a hit.
    Nancy

What a wonderful way to remember a loved one. I always think of my grandpa when I make lasagna. He always loved my lasagna. He always would ask me, “Mija, when you come and visit, would you make me your lasagna?” After he passed, it took me forever to make it again.

Your cake looks great! Thanks for sharing your memory with us. Hope Grumpy is well.

Isn’t it nice to get those little memories once in awhile? Thanks for sharing this recipe. Wow, haven’t had this in a long time.
    It is a nice tribute to your gram.

I hear you about being caked out …. hard to keep baking every week. Love the Dorie group but the belt is getting a little tight! Your cake looks fantastic!