A light and hearty tuna casserole

I opted out of this week’s TWD – with a birthday in the picture, I went with cake instead of the Floating Islands. To see this week’s recipe, check out Shari of Whisk: a food blog and to view the results of the TWD members you can check out our blogroll!

Grumpy loves Tuna Casserole. I don’t. That is why in the almost 9 years we have been together I have never, ever made it for him. When he had a craving for tuna casserole, I would buy the Tuna Helper and make it just for him and I would eat something else.

On our way to the chocolate tasting – which was an hours drive, I had Grumpy help me decide our meals for the week so I didn’t have the problem of not knowing what I was going to make for dinner when I got home from work. I had my Healthy Cooking Magazines in tow and looked through them, made suggestions, showed him the photos and we came up with a plan for Monday – Saturday! Woo Hoo!

I saw this recipe for Light-But-Hearty Tuna Casserole and thought, why not? It is something Grumpy loves so maybe I should make it and give it a try myself.

This recipe was a little different to me from what I had seen of Tuna Casseroles as it did not call for green peas. Instead, it called for 1/2 cup of roasted red pepper. It also called for plain bread crumbs mixed with spices but since I didn’t have plain bread crumbs, I used panko bread crumbs.

Do I now love Tuna Casserole? No, I don’t love it, but I can’t say I hate it anymore either! I ate all that I took and Grumpy? Well, he ate the rest of the casserole that same evening. So I would say he loved it! ;o)

Light-But-Hearty Tuna Casserole

Topping:
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp pepper

Cook noodles according to package directions. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, mayonnaise and mustard. Stir in the tuna, mushrooms and red pepper. Drain noodles; add to soup mixture and stir until blended. Transfer to 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole, Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.

Nutrition facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 322 calories, 9 grams fat, 843 mg sodium, 39 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 18 grams protein.

Comments

Heh, me and my girlfriend are the same way! She hates tuna casserole, but I love it. Even though I’m the one who cooks I never get it either! What’s up with that?

That looks wicked good though, I’ll have to make it for myself.

I love Tuna Casserole…but sadly no one else in my family does:(

That doesn’t stop me from making it on occasion though! I grew up eating it on Friday’s during Lent, so I think I have a sort of nostalgia for it as well! Your recipe looks delicious…especially with the roasted red peppers and the bread crumb topping.

My family just may like your recipe better…I will have to try it:-)

Just the opposite with us. I love tuna casserole and Randy does not at all. We have been together for almost 17 years and I have never made it for myself, only have had some when it was made by other’s. It looks delicious. I am going to have to make this for myself.

Yum. I grew up never eating casseroles because my mom hated them and, therefore, I love them because they’re so novel to me. My husband on the other hand hates them because his mom made them and he always ate them growing up.

I may try to make this one and see if it changes his mind … the lack of peas is definitely a plus (in his mind).

I’ve never been a tuna noodle casserole fan either, although I have had one that uses curry powder bookmarked for forever to try. I will have to keep this one in mind should anyone beg me to make a more traditional tuna noodle casserole. 😉

I have not had tuna casserole in a long time. The one you made looks very good and worth trying again!!! I just made the M&M blondies you had a posted a few days ago. They were great and I am going to post mine on my blog…I will give you credit and link it back to you!! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

Years ago, when I was working at a high stress, long hours job, I made a Tuna casserole using Kraft Dinner Mac and Cheese, Campbell's mushroom soup, and peas. I served it with Doritos Nacho Chips and my two guys loved it. Go figure.

Today my version uses cooked chicken, soup, carrots, peas, and noodles. My husband likes it but not my son. It must be the tuna. :>)

Do you know what is funny? I love everyone elses’ tuna casseroles but when I make it it turns out gross. Why is that? I will have to try your recipe for sure. Maybe we will like THIS one.

I’ve always called it Tuna Noodle Surprise. The surprise comes from me cooking. I use cream of celery instead – mushrooms are not part of my diet.

It’s been a long time since we last had some so tonight I might just surprise my daughter who’s visiting.