I saw this recipe for Light-But-Hearty Tuna Noodle Casserole and thought, why not? It is something Grumpy loves so maybe I should make it and give it a try myself.
This recipe was a little different to me from what I had seen of Tuna Noodle Casserole as it did not call for green peas. Instead, it called for 1/2 cup of roasted red pepper. I also was only used to seeing crushed saltines on top, not bread crumbs. I couldn’t go with the red pepper because Grumpy just is not a fan of it so I improvised this recipe slightly from the original. While I used full fat mayonnaise and 2% milk, I still was able to get a good 6 servings for under 300 calories.
I can honestly say that I no longer “hate” Tuna Noodle Casserole. Maybe it was because I now have grown up tastebud or maybe its just because I made it myself and added some freshness to it. I’m not sure. One thing I am sure of though is Grumpy will never be deprived of one of his favorite dishes again!
- 3 cups uncooked yolk free noodles
- 1 can reduced fat reduced sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- ½ cup 2% milk
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- 1 can (6 oz) solid white tuna, drained
- 8 ounces cooked sliced mushrooms (I do not recommend canned mushrooms)
- 1 cup green peas
- ¼ cup dry Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cook noodles according to package directions. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, mayonnaise and mustard. Stir in the tuna, mushrooms and green peas. Drain noodles; add to soup mixture and stir until blended. Transfer to 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole, Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
PIN IT – Tuna Noodle Casserole