When life gets you down, these brownies WILL help

I want to dedicate today’s post to Marie Coe – who was a very loving and compassionate woman. Marie passed away this week. I will remember her in my heart just as fondly as I remember my nanny. The one thing that will forever be in my mind is her beautiful smile and caring heart.

Marie would donate her time and food to Caring for Marriage and Especially for you – which were ministries that I was also involved in. She and Pastor Coe lived and ministered in our area back in the mid 80’s. I will never forget the Saturday night parties they would hold at their home and the feeling of belonging that Pastor and Marie gave all who came into their lives. My thoughts and condolences go to Pastor Coe, Loren, Donice and their families.

Sometimes the only thing that will make a soul feel better is chocolate. Things happen in life at times that makes you feel like there is nothing you can do because you have hit rock bottom. Fortunately, when you are feeling so despondent, there are others around you who love you and refuse to let you hit that rock bottom so hard that you can’t turn back. Sometimes those others have chocolate ;o)

I have heard some people say that certain people can “make you” or “break you”. I say the only person who can do either of those things is yourself. I believe strength comes with age, with age comes wisdom. As I have gotten older I have become a very strong person. I think back about how I didn’t used to be and realize I have come a really long way. That doesn’t mean that I don’t have my moments of weakness. There are people out there who would love to break someone who is high on life and happy with themselves. Instead of hating those people though, I pity them. I pity them because they have no idea what it really means to be happy.

Things that make me happy? The number one thing is my kids. I’m so darn proud of them I could just burst. They are young, so they are still working on their lives. They still have a lot to learn, but the one thing they do have going for them is they both have their mom and their dad to support them in times of despair AND in happiness. Like many parents, my kids are my life. I will do anything it takes to be there for them no matter what they may need!

I will do the simplest things to make my children happy….. like making these brownies! Its my feeling that nothing shows love like home baked goodness. (Oh no, do I now sound like Carla on Top Chef?) lol. However, I believe my children have learned the lesson of how to show their mom the love too.

Chris came to the house the other night and while he was here he helped me make the brownies by chopping the peanut butter cups for me. I have been having problems with my right shoulder/neck/arm and as a result of this, I am not able to do things around the house as I have been able to in the past. Chris also was such a good boy and helped me clean the flour that spilled on the floor (because of my dropsies of course) and didn’t show any impatience with me for being so clumsy. He certainly loves his mom and I am so lucky.

I made these brownies because last week when Chris was having a hard time he told me he wanted brownies. These brownies are the best of all brownies and I knew these were just what he needed. Mind you, are definitely not low in fat or calories, but when you are in need of comfort….calories don’t count.

Best Ever Brownies Peanut Butter Style
adapted from Brookes Bombshell Brownies on allrecipes.com

• 1 cup butter, melted
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped mini peanut butter cups
  • 1/2 cup mini Reeses pieces

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.

Combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture until blended. Stir in the chopped peanut butter cups. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with mini Reeses pieces

Bake in preheated oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove, and cool pan on wire rack before cutting. (it only took 35 minutes for my brownies)

Prep time:  10 minutes
Cook time:  40 minutes
Total time:  50 minutes
Serves:  36

Comments

Shelby – I am sorry that you have been having some medical problems. I love this post for so many reasons! Your Chris is a sweetie, wonder where he gets it from? :) My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Thanks for the recipe, I am going to try it soon!

Hugs,

Vanessa

Shelby, sorry to hear about the loss of such a wonderful lady and friend.

These brownies look fantastic. I love the photo!

So sweet that Chris could be cheered by these, but I think it was because of YOU!

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. It’s true: sometimes there’s nothing better than a bit of chocolate to make you feel better. Looks like these brownies have healing powers. I just happen to have chopped Reese’s left in my fridge from the Reese’s Blondies I just posted about, and I can’t wait to try your brownie recipe! These look divine. I hope you start to feeling better soon!

I’m so very sorry to hear about your loss. Marie sounds like she was a wonderful woman.

These brownies look so moist and yummy! I wish I had one right now to enjoy with my coffee. :)

I’m sorry for your loss, I know what it is like to lose someone close to you or have days where you feel like you hit rock bottom.

That is what makes us stronger as a person. You and I have one thing well many things in common! but that common thing is : a Positive outlook on life! Which is great because this is why you are happy as a person :)

I love your reeses brownies, they definitely happy brownies!

Chocolate is good. Chocolate and peanut butter is divine. When I got down to the peanut butter cups and Reesses pieces I knew you baked a piece of Brownie Heaven. Now I can’t decide if I want to go out to the woods to take photos or stay in and bake a batch of these.

I hear you about kids. I love mine dearly and they’re the most important part of my life. Still I can’t help calling them my ‘dear little life sucking parasites’ :)

I agree that chocolate can help an awful lot–I’m sorry you’ve been needing it lately. :(

I just found the baking pb cups and peppermint patties and bought a zillion more bags–what an evil addiction this baking with candy pieces is turning into.

What a beautiful post. Being a parent is amazing. I love how sweet your son is and what a special relationship you have. The brownies look wonderful too :)

Bless your heart. What a wonderful mother you are. Im so sorry about your friend passing. I know your kids love you to pieces, who wouldn’t. Great looking brownies.

I’m sorry about your friend, HoneyB. Here’s some HUGS. Your post made me sad, cause I’m not getting along with my Mom for the first time in my life. I wish she had your attitude toward me. Then all would be well. Your brownies look scrumptious!! I can smell them, ha, cause I just baked some too!

This was such a touching post to read. I agree with all of your reflections, from what makes us grow as people to how much we love our children.

People like Marie Coe always inspire me with their selfless way of giving to others. I hope your former pastor gets a chance to read your tribute to her!

HB – sorry for your loss. It can be difficult when someone from the past leaves us — you’re mourning both the person and the time in your life they represent. Here’s wishing you and the Pastor’s family the best.

I just found your blog this week and immediately printed off this brownie recipe. I made these yesterday and they are soooo good!
    I hope you don’t mind me sharing the recipe on my blog. It is fantastic!

So I made these–thought I had everything in the pantry. 1 1/2 cups is a lot of little peanut butter cups (I must have eaten a few!) Anyway I checked my candy supply and found some mini buttefingers. They are kind of peanut butter tasting so I thought they would work. I chopped up about 1/2 c and add to the yummy batter. Something went very wrong!! I think the Butterfingers melted and turned to cement! I could not get them out of the pan. Note to self: do not use butterfingers in baking!! I purchased more peanut butter cups and am anxious to try this again. Wish me luck. I really don’t fail that often (at baking sweets that is) but when I do it is pretty spectacular! It took me two days to scrape the butterfinger cement from my stoneware!

Came over to check these out. I was thinking "bummer, I don't have any Reese cups" then I remember hiding in my fridge are some of those mini ones that I don't even have to unwrap! Think I might have to make a half batch of these–tomorrow. Lurve!

16. Bea says

Just made these brownies yesterday for my colleagues. They loved them.
    Many thanks for sharing the recipe.