Where’s the beef?

For the first time in I can’t tell you how long (if ever!) I gave Grumpy a suggestion for dinner the day before and he actually said yes…the first time! Hm, what was it I did right? Well, I’m thinking it is because it was a beef dish.

Looking through the Weight Watcher’s Take-out Tonight cookbook I see a lot of things I would like to try. I happened to have all the ingredients at the house for this dish, so after getting the go ahead from Grumpy, I made sure to be ready! This is a really flavorful dish. The best part? It’s filling AND it’s only 6 points per serving (1 cup!)

Beef Lo Mein
WW Take-out Tonight, pg 52

1/2 lb fresh lo mein noodles or spaghetti
3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/4 cup sake or rice wine (an online search said you could substitute dry sherry for the sake – which I did)
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
1 Tablespoon canola oil
3/4 lb beef top round, trimmed of all visibile fat, cut into thin strips
1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
3 scallions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced

Cook the noodles or spaghettin according to package directions; drain and set aside. Combine the broth, sake or rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. set aside. (NOTE: Do not confuse rice wine with rice wine vinegar. It is not the same).

Heat a nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in 2 teaspoons of the canola oil, then add the beef. Stir-fry until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Swirl in the remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil, then add the mushrooms, scallions, and garlic. Stir-fry until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 2 minutes Stir in the beef and noodles. Cook, tossing frequently, until heated through, about 1 minute

Per serving: 1 cup = 1 serving, 290 calories, 6g fat, 442 mg sodium, 2g fiber
WW Points: 6

Comments

Who would’ve guessed you could make beef lo mein healthy and low cal? This sounds right up my alley! I’d love to try subbing firm tofu for the beef.

Mmmmm, looks wonderful! We are scheduled to pick up our 500 lbs. of beef next week, I’m definitely marking this recipe to try. My kiddos are finally willing to try Asian food. Hooray!! Thanks for the fantastic recipe. ;o)

So much better to make these things at home instead of eating out. Great dish. Ever tried shirataki noodles? A lot of WW members try them if they want to eliminate a lot of points from pasta. They are an acquired taste though!

I’m thinking that would be great in a white take out box, on my couch, in my jammie pants and watching a movie!

ps-I have something for you over at my place.

I have enjoyed your blog for several weeks!! I am doing ‘a week of brownies’ on my blog this week–I just started a blog. I am about to try your peanutbutter brownies do you care if I post this recipe on my blog–I will give you credit and put a link to your blog? Thanks.
    Cindy Harris of Everyday Insanity http://cgharris.blogspot.com/

I like this Beef Lo Mein. these Beef Lo Mein recipe are sure to taste great and are extremely nutritious as well. I am going to make a batch for the holidays when my family will be at home. I’ll be sure that what they are eating is healthy.