Whipped cream, pineapple, cherries and…..rice?

The colors of the season for February are the colors of valentine. Anything red/white/pink colored reminds me that it is the time for love! Growing up I loved anything cherry. Cherry ice cream, cherry pie (which was my very favorite!), cherry cough syrup…Yeah, I know, but hey, I was a kid!

I remember at Camp Cherokee we would be treated with big huge long banana splits. I can’t remember how we got them, but I know it was a special treat for something we did – maybe it was keeping our cabin cleanest or something….but I just remember big, long, banana splits…with cherries on top.

I am thinking Glorified got it’s name because of its doctoring up it got with sugar, whipped cream, pineapple and cherries….because rice on its own is so boring! In any case, this is a dish I always loved to eat when I was little and still love to eat as an adult!

Glorified Rice

1 cup cooked white rice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1- 13.5 oz can crushed pineapple
1/3 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 Tablespoons drained chopped maraschino cherries
6 whole maraschino cherries for garnish

Mix rice, sugar, pineapple, and vanilla. Stir in marshmallows and cherries. Fold in whipped cream. Top with extra maraschino cherries to decorate.

Chill for 4 hours.

Spoon the rice mixture into 6 dessert dishes and place a cherry on top of each.

Comments

I was just thinking about glorified rice…it was one of my dad’s favourites when I was little and my mum made it often. I loved the stuff, and have been thinking about it for the past week! Yours looks fabu!

It's Caeden's turn to spend the night tonight, he loves pineapple & I have left-over rice in teh fridge. Guess what he's getting for dessert tonight?

Hope Grumpy had a good birthday! And you are so sweet to make Bub (are you sure you don't live in Texas? *grins*) a birthday treat!

I have never been a rice pudding fan, but this totally sounds like something I can do. It’s seems more of a fruit salad with rice in it.

I like adding cinnamon, sugar and a little milk to my leftover rice. This looks so good that I think I’ll try it next time instead!

It’s so pretty!!! I bet it tastes as good as it looks. I used to pretend like I had a stomachache so I would get to have Pepto. I thought it was candy or something.

You’re driving me NUTS with all of this food. :) I mean that in the nicest way.
    I’m in the process of losing my winter weight that I gain EVERY year and doing great but I had to try this recipe.
    YUMMY! It is so very good. It was all gone in two days although I let my husband eat a big share. I will certainly make this again.
    Thanks for driving us crazy.
    Hug,