Clam Chowder

The weather here can be so touchy. It can be almost 40 degrees one day, and then zero (or even below) the next! When it’s cold I want something to warm me up like soup! Grumpy has been fighting off a sore throat and since I hadn’t made clam chowder in a long time, I figured it was time to make it!

I used regular half an half in my recipe this time, but fat free half and half works just as well. Grumpy loved this soup – the flavor was great and I contribute that to the fact that I sprinkle some Old Bay seasoning in the soup for flavor!

Enjoy!

Clam Chowder
HoneyB’s Way

4 slices bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 stalks celery, chopped
Old Bay Seasoning (1 tsp. or to taste)
2 cups diced potatoes
1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cans (approximately 7 ounces each) minced clams
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup skim milk

Cook bacon until crisp in a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan. Remove bacon to paper towels; drain. Remove most of the bacon grease from pan. Add onion and celery to bacon drippings; saute until softened. Add Old Bay Seasoning and cook and stir another minute. Add potatoes and clam juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat. Add minced clams with their liquid. Whisk flour into milk; add to chowder with half-and-half. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clam chowder thickens and bubbles, or about 3 minutes.

Comments

This sounds so simple and so delicious. I must try it .. it is one of my husbands favorite types of soups, and Ive never made it.Now, I will! It looks sooo good!

We do enjoy a nice clam chowdah here. I’ll never forget the one time I ordered clam chowder while I was in NY and was served Manhattan clam chowder! Who knew? Not this country girl, LOL! But now I do. I like your recipe faaaaar better! Looks real good and I bet it does hit the spot on a cold day, or any day.

Haha, it has been very cold here–and then yesterday was 65. Tomorrow they are saying 69. I would think it is coming your way, minus 10 degrees or so….

I love clam chowder! It’s one of the few soups I’ll eat. I’ve been wanting to try making my own since I saw Pam’s post a couple of months ago. Thanks for reminding me I’m missing out.

Btw, adding old bay is a brillant idea!!
    ~ingrid

I’ll have to try this recipe with the ff half and half and skim milk. I’ve been looking for a lower fat version of clam chowder. Thanks for the recipe!

I have to have Old Bay in my clam chowder. It just gives it that special something. I use fat free half and half in my cream soups all of the time and they turn out great!