Crispy fried wontons filled with a sweet crab and a slightly garlicky cream cheese fried to perfection! These delicious Crab Rangoon will disappear as quickly as you can make them!
One of our favorite treats at the Chinese place always has been Crab Rangoon. BUT we never eat out there anymore. I decided to make my own last summer for the first time – but went “healthy” with it and baked them – they just didn’t turn out that good. So, the next time I made them I decided I would fry them. Oh yeah. That was much better!I’m pretty proud of myself. I’ve accomplished a few Chinese meals that have turned out pretty well as of late and our favorite so far is the Walnut Shrimp. Yummy! Yeah, that dish is Grumpy’s favorite also.
I have seen recipes all over the place for the Crab Rangoon, but I decided to make it my own way. The first place I ever had Crab Rangoon was at the Hyvee grocery in Cedar Rapids. I loved those – they were the best I have ever had….and there was a bit of sweetness to the filling. So, I tried to replicate them (just smaller).
- 4 ounces Crab Leg (imitation) cut into small pieces
- 6 ounces ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- 3-4 shakes Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 green onions (white parts only) diced
- couple shakes of garlic powder
- wonton wrappers
- Mix crab meat, cream cheese, worcestershire sauce, sugar, green onion and garlic powder til well combined.
- Lay wonton wrapper on counter, place approximately 1 tablespoon filling. Seal wontons according to package directions. Keep covered with damp paper towel (the filled wontons and the unfilled ones) to prevent from drying out during prep.
- Fry in hot oil until browned.