The show, blogging buddies, and food!

In my last post I said I was going to watch my cousin in his show “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”. What an AWESOME show it was! I could watch him perform over and over again. The boy can act and that boy CAN sing! Someday that boy is going to be well known!

My friend Theresa and I headed down to Utica, NY on Tuesday afternoon for the event. When we arrived there I gave Ryan a call to let him know we were there. He said he was walking back to the hotel so after we checked in, to give him another call and let us know what our room number was and he would come to see us. We had just checked in and were walking to the elevator when he walked into the hotel! Ryan took our room number and said he would be up in about 5 minutes. We spent some time talking about the show and different places he had been on tour. He was so attentative to us (for a young one! lol). Not long after we arrived his mom, my Aunt Ann arrived. We talked a bit more, then Ryan took us on up for a walk to the theater. By this time, his brother Greg arrived with more friends and family members! It was nice to spend time with family that I don’t see often and I was looking forward to more than just the show that evening!

Aunt Ann (Ryan’s mom), HoneyB, Ryan

We had dinner with my aunt and her friend at the hotel, then right after dinner I went to the lobby to wait for Linda who writes Weekend Cook. Linda and her mom were going to see the show also! We met in the lobby, had a chance to visit a little, then we all headed up to the theater to get our seats from Ryan. After the show, Ryan agreed to a photo with Linda, her mom, myself and his mom!

Linda’s mom, Linda (Weekend Cook), Ryan, HoneyB, Aunt Ann

The show was great. They involved members of the audience in the show and did some ad-libbing of their lines – and the show had us all laughing for almost the entire show! Ryan, as Leaf Coneybear did a great job, as did all his fellow cast mates in their roles!

Group pic after the show at the party

Although this is a tough time to be away from home right now, I am glad I went and wouldn’t have missed it for anything. I’ve already been on the phone with some people telling them when the show gets to Syracuse, NY they need to GO! If any of my readers are interested, the remainder of the schedule can still be seen by clicking here and then clicking the “on tour” button on the bottom right hand corner of the page. If you do go, give me a shout out and let me know!

Now, onto the food!
I haven’t been cooking a whole lot as of late, and it looks like it will be this way for a few weeks as my neck surgery has been scheduled for next Tuesday. I know, that was fast. I won’t go into the details it took to get there that fast but I am grateful that I have relief in site much sooner than I thought. My son Justin has access to blog here and I will have him come in to let you know how things went so you don’t sit there wondering (as if you have nothing better to do!) about me for days. ;o)

Although yesterday I didn’t have a lot of energy (which has been the case as of late), I decided I needed to get off my duff and make Grumpy a “real meal”. He loves spaghetti, so I decided that since we both need to eat healthier, I would make a recipe for turkey meatballs I found on The Food Network. I knew I was taking a chance here because it wasn’t “beef”. In any case, I didn’t tell Grumpy that it was turkey, just served it up and let him eat. After dinner I asked him if he liked it and his response was yes, it was good! LOL. That was when I said the meatballs were turkey and I wasn’t sure what he was going to think. Chalk one up for HoneyB! Now to just get him to eat mom’s vegetarian meatball recipe and love it! The day will come…..I hope!

For the meatball recipe, you can click here. I opted to use Prego spaghetti sauce instead of making Giada’s recipe (this time anyway!). I didn’t make any changes to the meatball recipe itself, it is great as is!

Comments

Hey if youre ever down the NJ shore way, let me know. Looks like you guys had a blast, Im envious. How fun!! Those turkey meatballs look awesome, BTW!

I love spaghetti and meatballs. Turkey meatballs do sound like a nice healthier option.

Ryan IS a handsome and talented young man. You sound so loving of him and I can hear how proud you are of him.

Hoping you are well and getting stronger.

Beautiful meat balls Honey B! I see your cousin’s show comes to York, PA next month… that’s not far from me at all! I might just have to check it out :) Is it a kid friendly show? Could I take my 11 yr old? Just curious…

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that your surgery goes well, gives the relief you need and that you heal well and quickly.

*hugs*

The show is a little “risque” not sure how suitable it is for younger children! It is a comedy and what I consider as “adult”. You have to have a sense of humor and not be easily offended to enjoy the show šŸ˜‰ That said, I think Jo, that you would enjoy the show…I did email you separately also. If anyone has more specific questions, feel free to contact me at my email address ;o)

Shelby, Put spaghetti and meatballs in front of those guys and they can’t tell the difference between turkey and beef! I am using ground turkey meatballs more frequently myself. The picture looks delicious.
    Great post and we all look good with that “famous and handsome” actor, Ryan!!
    Keeping you in my prayers!

Spaghetti and turkey meatballs, what a delicious meal.
    Sounds like the show was a good time. Pictures are great.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you well for Tuesday.

The showed sounds like it was a last Shelby! I need to try the turkey meatballs they look so good! I will be praying for you and YES I hope your son will keep us updated on your recovery!!

sounds like you had a great time at the show! and I love ground turkey they taste so much better than ground beef in my opinion. Maybe Grumpy will be converted

What a fabulous sounding show!! Great job, Ryan!! Todd’s parents live in Geneseo. I think I’ll tell them about the show in case they feel like making a little road trip to go see it. By the way, your spaghetti and meatballs looks fabulous. I love that you sneaked turkey meatballs into the dish and Grumpy didn’t even notice!! You need to post your vegetarian “meat”ball recipe sometime soon!! I’d love to know it.

I’ve seen this show and it’s fantastic. How neat to know one of the actors! The meatballs look so good.
    Best wishes for a fast recovery!

I feel so dumb!! I thought your cousin was going to be in a real spelling bee! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. Good for you for sneaking the meatballs past Grumpy, my aunt used to make the best turkey ones, too, you would never know if she hadn’t told.

Lots of good wishes and prayers for you surgery. Hugs!

The meatballs look absolutely delicious! And I hope Justin can update us as soon as he can that things are going great – fingers crossed…. no more pain in the neck!!! No good.

What a fun time you had!

The spaghetti and meatballs is making me hungry – they look great.

I am sending good thoughts your way – you will be pain free soon!

You are so lucky to see Spelling Bee and to have your nephew on the show! It sounds like a fund trip.

I’ve done that with my red-meat-eating husband too. When I made turkey chili, I didn’t tell him it was turkey and he didn’t know any different! :)

Sounds like you had a great time at the show. What a handsome young man! Oh you do need some easy dinners right now. Please rest, rest, rest if you can. I am so sorry to hear that you are in such pain. we are not foreign to that kind of pain in our home. Hubby had to have back surgery and what releif it gave him. You will be in my prayers and that all will go well and you will be on the go again very soon.

Glad you had a good time at the show! The meatballs look yummy, too!

I’ll be thinking of you and waiting for an update from your son! :) Lots of love, Shelby!!!

What an awesome show! And all those photos of food have me very hungry now.

I’m here as part of the SITS Welcome Wagon! I’ve been with SITS for quite a while now.

I’ve read so many fun blogs, met so many amazing women, and really enjoyed the blogger support system they have set up.

Tiffany and Heather, the founders, are really great. Welcome to the group, SITSta!