General Tso’s Tofu, crispy pieces of tofu smothered in a sweet spicy sauce. Addicting and so delicious you may eat the entire recipe all by yourself!
That is how it was with this recipe and to his own surprise, he really liked it! The sauce is incredibly delicious and he really loved how crispy the tofu was.
The texture was completely changed by the cornstarch coating making the tofu pieces super crispy!
General Tso’s Tofu – Pin it!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3-4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsps Hoisin
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar (I used rice vinegar per the suggestion of Mari)
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 6-8 spring green onions, sliced (I went with 4)
- 3 Tbsps fresh ginger finely chopped (I didn't measure, I just cut a chunk, peeled and chopped)
- Hot pepper flakes(optional) (I used the dried whole chilies and broke them into pieces)
- Squeeze tofu of excess water by placing between a thickness (I use about 3-4 thick paper towels folded about 3-4 times) of paper towels and sitting a heavy pan on top. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
- While waiting for tofu to be squeezed dry, mix together the first 6 ingredients and set aside. (I added my chili peppers to the sauce mix before I sat it aside)
- To prepare tofu for frying, slice into 1/2" slices, then cut each slice into thirds. Coat lightly with cornstarch and fry in a shallow frying pan with olive oil until browned and crispy. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel and add sesame oil with onions and chopped ginger. Fry about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer about 2 minutes. Add tofu back to mixture, toss to coat. Serve garnished with green onion tops chopped.