General Tso’s Tofu, crispy pieces of tofu smothered in a sweet spicy sauce. Addicting and so delicious you may eat the entire recipe all by yourself!
I’ve spent time on my favorite food porn sites, Tastespotting, FoodGawker, Photograzing, and Recipes2Share. Going to the sites that catch my eye to see what the recipe is all about. That is how I found the “Lighter General” recipe at first. Then, while catching up on blogs, I came across Mari’s post on the “Lighter General” and she took me right to the recipe I had bookmarked! The recipe was for Chicken but I adapted it to use tofu for myself. I did however, the next evening make this with Chicken for Grumpy’s sake! This was probably the closest I have come to the taste of the sauce as I know it from the Chinese restaurants. Definitely give it a try!!
Because I changed to tofu, I will leave you with the recipe and my tofu instructions. If you want instructions on how to make this with chicken, please make sure to check out La Table de Nana for the chicken version. While you’re there, check out all her beautiful food photos also!
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3-4 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbsps Hoisin
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar (I used rice vinegar per the suggestion of Mari)
- 3 Tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 6-8 spring green onions, sliced (I went with 4)
- 3 Tbsps fresh ginger finely chopped (I didn’t measure, I just cut a chunk, peeled and chopped)
- Hot pepper flakes(optional) (I used the dried whole chilies and broke them into pieces)
- Squeeze tofu of excess water by placing between a thickness (I use about 3-4 thick paper towels folded about 3-4 times) of paper towels and sitting a heavy pan on top. Let sit 20-30 minutes.
- While waiting for tofu to be squeezed dry, mix together the first 6 ingredients and set aside. (I added my chili peppers to the sauce mix before I sat it aside)
- To prepare tofu for frying, slice into 1/2″ slices, then cut each slice into thirds. Coat lightly with cornstarch and fry in a shallow frying pan with olive oil until browned and crispy. Remove from frying pan and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean with paper towel and add sesame oil with onions and chopped ginger. Fry about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and simmer about 2 minutes. Add tofu back to mixture, toss to coat. Serve garnished with green onion tops chopped.
General Tso’s Tofu – Pin it!