This cupcake recipe is from Cooking Light. The original recipe calls for potato starch in the cupcake. Do not run right out and buy potato starch just to make these though! You can easily substitute cornstarch for the potato starch and your cupcakes will still turn out light and delicious. The texture of these cupcakes is spot on.
This recipe, although called coconut cupcakes, only had two tablespoons of coconut in it. I guess that was enough for CL to call them coconut….but not for me! If you make these, and I really do think you should, please use coconut extract instead of vanilla. Don’t make any changes to the frosting. It is absolutely perfect! The lime flavor really comes out and the combination of coconut and lime is divine!
I went ahead and zested a little extra lime rind to just sprinkle on top of these, for decorative purposes. But you don’t need to do so, unless like me you really love that essence!
- Cooking spray
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ⅔ cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4.75 ounces powdered sugar, sifted (about 1⅓ cups)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cupcakes, place 2 muffin cup liners in each of 12 muffin cups; coat liners with cooking spray.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (through salt) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Combine ¾ cup sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until blended (mixture will be the consistency of damp sand). Add egg and egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in coconut and vanilla.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until cupcakes spring back when touched lightly in the center. Cool in pan 2 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, combine 3 tablespoons butter and next 3 ingredients (through juice) in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating just until smooth. Spread about 2½ teaspoons frosting onto each cupcake.
Pin it! Coconut Cupcakes with Lime Buttercream Frosting