Call me sentimental

scent92hb

I won’t care. I think it is a good thing. It means you have a heart.

topHB

The times I am baking in the early morning is when my Grandma Mae (Nanny) comes to my mind. I always think of her, how she would do it and how she would like what I am making. One thing I remember making with Nanny is raisin bran muffins. Many mornings I would be at Nanny’s house for breakfast. I would get up early with my dad and ride over to her house with him. Dad would be on his way to work and he would be picking up Poppy to ride with him. Me, I would go in to Nanny & Poppy’s house and go upstairs to snuggle with Nanny for a little while before we would get up to have breakfast.

scent1hb

If you haven’t guessed, I was very close to my Nanny. I don’t know that many people are so lucky. Maybe it is different if you are a girl. Or if you are a first born, or if you just come from a very close loving family. Whatever the case is, I was very blessed to have the most wonderful grandmother. She was sweet, kind, loving and sometimes naive (or so we thought!). She loved to joke, she loved music. She had the most wonderful smile and she never judged me. Not even when I made some of the most stupid and wrong decisions in my life. Instead, she opened her arms (and her doors) and brought me in close. Her home was my home and her heart loved me unconditionally. That is how I want my family and friends to remember me.

scent9HB

If Nanny was still here, then this morning I would pack up some muffins and run down the road – pj’s and all – to share them with her. It would certainly be something that would make her smile and say “come on in Shelby Mae.”

scenthb

The photo above is Nanny’s recipe. She tore this from a Post Raisin Bran box herself. No matter that I love things neat and orderly – I will not change this card because it came from her house, her cereal box and her hands that tore it from there. Call me sentimental. I won’t care.

Comments

Shelby,
    What a touching post about your grandmother. Sounds like you had a wonderful and special relationship. Treasure that torn out recipe and think about all the times she touched it to make those muffins.

very touching entry, it's okay to remember ones we love. It sounds like you and nanny had so many wonderful memories together, go right ahead and keep cherishing them :)

How wonderful that you were so close to your grandmother. Mine lived about an hour away and we only saw them about once a month. The muffins look great. I love that she got the recipe of the raisin bran box!

I loved my grandmother, too. Unfortunately, I didn't live close enough to have those wonderful Saturday morning memories but I can relate to associating recipes with our wonderful grandmothers.

I love Raisan Bran and I'm going to have to try this recipe…in honor of grandmother's everywhere who make their grand daughters feel loved and special.

I am the same way. I have many of my Grandma's recipes, cards, clippings – she is still alive, but she doesn't cook anymore. So, she's given me these things. I marveled over them as a child, and I treasure them still. Sometimes I don't need a polished, gourmet recipe. Sometimes, I need the exact recipe I used to help my Grandma in the kitchen with.

And those muffins sound great. :)

Awwww, sentimental? Yes. Wonderfully written? Yes. How sweet. Your line "come on in Shelby Mae" brought a tear to my eye. Thanks, what a great way to start my Saturday.

What a lovely, touching tribute to your 'nanny. You are very lucky to have such precious memories. Mine all died before I was born and I only met one grandfather but he died when I was five, so I do not have memories of him either.

You caught me on a nostalgic day of my own and brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely story, thank you for sharing it and the wonderful recipe for the muffins. When I bake these for my kiddos' breakfast, I'll think of you!