Mom’s Apple Pie in a Jar

First let me congratulate the following people who won a 1 year subscription to Vegetarian Times from Aaron at magsdirect.com!

Average Betty
Aggie of Aggie’s Kitchen
Mags of The Other Side of Fifty

Thanks to my co-worker Sue who helped me with the drawing :-) and I apologize for taking so long to make the announcement….sometimes life gets in the way of things we want to do!

MAP1HB

I wasn’t sure what I was going to post for Family Recipes this month. I have more baking than I really want going on right now (not good for that waistline!). Then I remembered I made this apple pie last month from Mom’s Apple Pie in a Jar….and realized I could post about this!

Family Recipes Logo

This is a newer recipe of my mother’s that she shared with me – and hopefully this fall if the apples are abundant enough (I understand they don’t seem to be doing too well around here ) I hope to make some of her Apple Pie in a Jar to have on hand myself. When I made this pie it was simple as could be. I rolled out a pie crust, poured in the filling, made a crumble topping and baked at 350 til done! If you have apples this fall that you are looking to do something different with, well this is a great idea!

MAPHB

Mom’s Apple Pie in a Jar

7 quarts peeld, cored and sliced apples (about 7 lbs)
3-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cornstarch
10 cups water
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients except the apples and cook until thickened. Add 3 Tablespoons lemon juice. Fill hot sterile jars with apple slices. Pour hot mixture into jars until 1″ from the top. Cover with sealing lid. Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.

Comments

Looks yummy Shelby and a handy way to keep apple filling on hand and ready to use as needed.

So tickled I won the magazine subscription… thanks!

What a great idea! This would make a good gift too. I am really looking forward to apples this fall (I'm adding this to my ever-growing list of things to do with apples… not sure there will be enough apples for everything I want to do).

Now I want pie…

Looks delicious – question though – how much filling does this make? I'm assuming it should be a pint of filling per pie so I should do this in pint size jars?

I can't wait for fresh apples…I love baking with them and smelling the wonderful aromas! Of course, the eating is good too!
    I'm drooling over your pie right now…it's sooo yummy looking.

Shelby,
    Nothing says fall like Apple Pie. Looks fabulous. I need to challenge myself and make more pies. I love your new fall header.

Glad Aggie won that magazine. Sad I didn't. Maybe she'll share the copies with me :)

YAY!!! Thank you HoneyB for having the Vegetarian Times Giveaway! I am so excited to receive my subscription!! Thank you! Thank you! And… a big thanks to Sue for drawing my name WOO HOO!

The pie looks delicious. Makes me want to visit my Mom 😉