Kristina’s Loaded Potato Soup

BPS1HB

Last Saturday I spent the day with my DIL Kristina. We were doing some special shopping for a special event you will hear about in the near future. πŸ˜‰ One of the subjects of course was food and her Loaded Potato Soup that she. My son has also raved about this soup!

BpotHB

Sunday was a “stay at home, do what I want” kind of day. I got to thinking again about the potato soup that Kristina makes. This soup is as yummy as my son and DIL tells me it is….not that I doubted them one bit!

Family Recipes Logo

I’m very happy that I have a daughter-in-law who likes to cook/bake and that I can share recipes with. I’m also very proud to be submitting Kristina’s recipe to our Family Recipes Event being hosted by Laura of The Spiced Life this month.

oct 11HB

Kristina’s Loaded Potato Soup
(Kristina can feel free to comment what she does as I am only typing this from memory of what I did)

4 slices bacon, cooked til crisp reserving 1 Tbsp fat
1 small onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves (adjust to your taste-I love garlic!), minced
6 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon basil
salt & pepper to taste
green onion, sliced thinly (I didn’t have green onion so for some green color I used some fresh parsley)
shredded cheese (I used Colby)
2 cups half and half
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 Tablespoons flour

In large saucepan saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon fat. Add potatoes, chicken broth and basil to pan and simmer until potatoes are tender. Using potato masher, slightly mash potatoes.

Mix flour with half and half and hot sauce, then stir into potato mixture. Cook until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve soup topped with crumbled bacon pieces, shredded cheese and green onion.

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Hi! Just wanted to let you know, your picture looks yummy! However, you forgot to list 1 tsp of hot sauce and a clove of garlic minced to the recipe. You add the garlic in with the onion to cook and put the hot sauce in when you start adding the half and half.

I hope you enjoyed it!

~ Kristina

I knew you would let me know! I lost my paper that I wrote this down on so I was going by memory (which isn't too good lately!). Thanks Kristina. I'm going to edit the recipe on the blog to reflect it!

Shelby

This is somewhat similar to the recipe I use that I got from Le Petit Pierogi (which came she adapted from allrecipes.com). Very good. Your pictures are so much better than mine — looks delish!

Shelby,
    Believe it or not I've never had potato soup. But this looks wonderful and what a great recipe your DIL, Kristina shared. I'll be waiting to hear about this "special shopping" trip you both took!

O that looks so good and I LOVE that cup! So cute!

Question – what kind of potatoes? Russetts, the more floury kind or boiling potatoes, more like red or yukon? Would love to try this :) Must be soup season! I just posted about a delish corn chowder :)

This sounds devine!

That's great that you get along well with your DIL and share recipes with. :-)

I'm lucky too that have a wonderful MIL who shares with me some of her cooking secrets.