If you haven't entered my 2 year blog anniversary giveaway you can click HERE to do so!Like many of the other recipe cards there are no directions. Apparently everyone just "knew" how to mix and bake. lol. What I do:
Growing up I was surrounded by vegetarianism. Mom tended to make vegetarian meals often although she still made the basic meat/potato/veggie meal. Back then Dad wasn't too keen on eating vegetarian however now, he basically eats vegetarian when at home. This loaf pictured above is a loaf that I always looked forward to eating. Sometimes mom would even put chopped walnuts in it. I totally forgot about doing that or I would have done it when I made this recipe because I really love it with the nuts!
- I don't use grapenuts. Never have. I always use Special K or Wheaties
- I only use evaporated milk if I have it and I use fat free. Otherwise I just use regular skim milk.
- You can substitute egg replacement (like the Morningstar farm egg substitute) for the eggs. This time I didn't because I didn't have any.
- If you don't have George Washington Broth which is a meat free mix, you can substitute the Better than Bouillon (which is what I have in my fridge all the time). This however is not meat free unless you get the vegetable one. I keep vegetarian, chicken and beef in my fridge at all times.
- I don't use oleo. I am a butter girl all the way. I use unsalted butter whenever I make anything unless a recipe calls for salted butter.
- I bake at 350 until browned on top and crispy on the edges. Anywhere between 45-60 minutes. It took about 40 minutes for half the recipe.
I am submitting this to the Family Recipes Event. This event is hosted by myself, Laura of The Spiced Life and Lynda of Lynda's Recipe Box. Please send your recipes to me at grumpyshoneybunch at yahoo dot com. To view the guidelines for this event click HERE.