Today’s Sunday Supper event is being hosted by Lisa of Jersey Girl Cooks and the Tastemakers are sharing with you Citrus Recipes that will make you smile! I guarantee this recipe will put a smile on your face, just look at the smile on my Momma’s face in her photo below!
The first time I made this recipe was for my Mom’s birthday, almost 7 years ago! My Mom is known as Momma to my children (and pretty much anyone else close to her now days). The photo of her above was when I made this cake for her birthday in 2010 and used fresh blackberries!
This time around I decided to go with fresh blueberries. I am a very big blueberry fan and I think that they go over really well with a lemon flavored frosting! The original recipe was found in Cooking Light magazine (one of my favorites!). This cake is not only delicious, but can really be a showstopper for a birthday cake!
Be sure to check out the links below the recipe and discover 40+ Citrus Recipes that will Make you Smile!
- For the Cake:
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3.4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Frosting:
- 1 package (8 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with parchment paper then spray with a light coat of cooking spray.
- Place granulated sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl. Using hand mixer, beat at medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon 1-3/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine greek yogurt, water, banana, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture (mix after each addition just until blended). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake cake at 350° for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Peel off parchment paper. Cool layers completely on wire rack.
- Combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, lemon rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and dash of salt in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate, and spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Arrange blueberries in a single layer over frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Decorate top of cake with more blueberries if desired. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Sunday Supper Citrus Recipes That Will Make You Smile
- Chocolate Orange Cinnamon Rolls by Caroline’s Cooking
- Creamy Vanilla-Orange Overnight Oats by A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Key Lime Muffins with Key Lime Glaze by Family Around The Table
- Lemon Donut Holes by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Lemon Poppy Seed Quick Bread by Pies and Plots
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Muffins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orange Chocolate Chip Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tiny Batch Blood Orange Marmalade by What Smells So Good?
- 10 Minute Lemon Pasta With Crispy Basil by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Asian Lemon Chicken by Brunch-n-Bites
- Calamansi Shrimp on Couscous by Asian In America
- Citrus Marinated Chicken Thighs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Citrus-Glazed Scallops with Chunky Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Lemon Lime Shrimp Cocktail w/a Citrus Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Freshman Cook
- Lemon Ricotta Spaghetti with Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pan Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Asparagus by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Orange Beef by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Instant Pot Orange Chicken by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Skillet Roasted Lemon Chicken by My Savory Spoon
- Slow Cooked Orange Chicken Breasts by Simple and Savory
- Thai Lime Basil Chicken Stir Fry by Wholistic Woman
- Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Clementine Pistachio Pomegranate Upside Down Cake by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Japanese Lemon Yuzu Bars by The Ninja Baker
- Key Lime Chiffon Pie by Food Done Light
- Lemon & Blueberry Skillet Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lemon Key Lime Layer Snack Cakes by Crazed Mom
- Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee by Soulfully Made
- Pink Grapefruit Meringue Tart by Baking Sense
- Sittin’ On a Sandbar Key Lime Pie by Gourmet Everyday
- Starbucks Lemon Loaf Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Citrus Macaroon Mascarpone Tart by The Crumby Cupcake
- Triple Lemon Poke Cake by Shaken Together
- Homemade Grapefruit Soda by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pineapple Orange Smoothie by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Ruby Red Mimosa by Our Good Life
- Simple Meyer Lemon Margaritas by My Life Cookbook
- Watermelon Limeade by From the Bookshelf
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Pin it! Banana Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting