Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Buns are kept moist by using with pumpkin in the dough! Inside there is a delicious spiced cinnamon sugar filling and spread with a rum flavored frosting. A delicious weekend brunch or even dessert recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Buns
- 1 package package fast-acting active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2/3 cup warmed almond milk (120 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon earth balance butter spread
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal plus 6 Tbsp water OR 1 egg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons earth balance butter spread
- In a large bowl, stir yeast, white whole wheat flour flour, 1 cup of all purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and salt together.
- In separate bowl, mix pumpkin puree, butter, almond milk and flaxseed meal mixture together. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Turn out onto counter coated with some of the remaining flour. Knead the remaining flour into the dough until it is used up and you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Put dough into a bowl coated with cooking spray and lightly spray the top of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts and raisins in a small bowl, set aside. Transfer the risen dough to a work surface, and pat or roll it into a 16″ x 12″ rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough into a log the long way. Next, using what I call my “dental floss trick”, cut the rolls into even slices (I got 9 rolls). The dental floss trick uses a long string of unwaxed, unflavored dental floss. You slide it under the roll dough and bring it up and across like you are going to start to tie a shoe. Then you pull each side to slice the roll dough. Place slices in a greased 8 inch square baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap (not tightly) and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until they turn golden brown across the center.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes. Drizzle with your favorite confectioners frosting. I used the [url href=”http://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/2010/11/perils-of-unpacking-and-turning-bread.html” target=”_blank”]Rum frosting[/url]I put on my Banana fosters snack cake.Details
Feel free to use egg instead of flax meal/water mixture and butter instead of earth balance. I have done both ways and the rolls turn out fabulous!