What do a mother and son do when they are basically snowed in for the day? Well, this mother and son hung out, watched some TV, played some games, took down the Christmas decorations, cleaned up the house some, and the son went out to clean the cars off and touch up where the snow plow didn’t get. 🙂 I’m such a lucky mom to have such a handsome helpful son!
It was only deserving he should be treated when he came in….to some fresh, homemade apple fritters!
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup mom's apple pie filling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Oil for frying
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add milk, pie filling vanilla, and butter. Stir until combined. Scoop with small cookie scoop into hot oil (I usually test the oil with a little dough before I start dropping the fritter dough all in - if it sizzles and bubbles, it is ready! OR you can use a candy thermometer and heat the oil to 350-375.)
- Flip fritters once to brown evenly, remove from hot oil and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve to the boy who just had a good workout in the wind shovelling and cleaning out snow!