I couldn’t wait to tell Grumpy what we were having for dinner the night I made hamburger soup. 🙂
If you are one of my Facebook Followers, you probably know the story about how when I ask Grumpy what he is making for dinner….and I get the response “hotdog soup”. That is his reply no matter how much I wished he would help out and at least come up with an idea for dinner.
Needless to say, I received pure pleasure when Grumpy called me to find out what was on the dinner table that night, and my response was “hamburger soup”. He thought I was joking, little did he know just how serious I was!
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large onion, diced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all purpose seasoning such as Adobo
- 2-14.5 oz cans diced petite tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 cans hot water
- 1-1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 package Birds-Eye Steamfresh mixed vegetables (I used the one with asparagus and baby carrots, so I cut them up smaller before mixing into the soup)
- ½ cup quick cooking barley
- Saute hamburger, onion, garlic and Aromat seasoning until beef is browned. Drain any excess fat from beef.
- Stir in two tomatoes, bouillon cubes, vegetables, and hot water. Simmer a few minutes until bouillon cubes have dissolved. Add salt, basil, oregano, and thyme. Stir in barley. Simmer about 10 minutes.
- About the salt and bouillon. If you are watching your sodium, you will want to adjust this. I tend to like things on the saltier side - but even Chris said this needed more flavor - so I added about 1 teaspoon of the better than bouillon paste at the end. This made it perfect for us.
- I used quick cooking barley - but originally had plans to use a small pasta. When I found I didn't have the pasta that I wanted (ditalini), I switched to barley. I probably could have used orzo but then the barley caught my eye, so I went with it. This soup was enjoyed by everyone....and next time Grumpy may not think I'm joking when I tell him we are eating hamburger soup!
Pin it! Hamburger Soup