Sweet Chili Lime Chicken with Cilantro Couscous

My Aunt Ann was going to be coming over.  She wanted to drop off a card for Grumpy and see our home as she hadn’t been here to see it yet.  I told her that if she was going to be coming over, that she should also eat dinner here.  Of course, since I was inviting her for that night and I had already left home I needed to figure out what I was going to feed her!  On the way home I started thinking and of course it lead to some sweet heat….So…..I stopped at the store and grabbed a package of chicken breasts and a couple of limes.

I arrived home and my Aunt was right behind me!  Hunger had me cooking something fast and was it ever yummy!  My aunt and I both enjoyed the meal….however Grumpy turned his nose up at what he called “puspus”.  Yeah, he’s not a couscous fan.  LOL.  He certainly gave my Aunt and I a good chuckle over it!  If your not a couscous fan, you can always serve this with rice which Grumpy promptly proclaimed I “should” have done.   Sigh.  No matter, the chicken is the star and the side is the co-star so if you decide to use rice instead because you don’t like “puspus” then that is ok with me.  ;o)

Sweet Chili Lime Chicken with Cilantro Couscous

1 lb chicken breast, cubed
accent seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 – 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (depending on heat factor you like)
juice of 1 lime
zest of one lime
Cilantro couscous (recipe follows)

Cook chicken breast with accent seasoning and oil oil until no longer pink (this should not take too long as the chicken is cubed).  Remove from pan and set aside.

Mix soy sauce, sugar, chili pepper flakes, lime juice and zest.  Stirl until sugar is dissolved.  Pour into hot skillet and bring to a boil.  Cook for 3-4 minutes until sauce begins to reduce some.  Stir in cooked chicken pieces and simmer for 2-3 minutes more, stirring often to glaze chicken.  Serve with couscous and extra lime wedges.  I used the lime wedges to squirt more juice on top of the dish once I had it assembled.  Grumpy?  He used the lime wedge for his Grey Goose & Cran.  ;o)

Cilantro Couscous

2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup couscous
1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Bring vegetable broth to a boil.  Stir in couscous and turn off heat.  Let sit for about 5 minutes.  This will allow the couscous to absorb the broth.  Stir in chopped cilantro and serve with Chicken.

Comments

I have a recipe for Lime Chicken that was allegedly gotten from a chef at Disney. I have my doubts b/c it is kind of bland. I will definitely replace it in my recipe box with this one. Thanks. (Sorry Grumpy was put off by the couscous.)

My children learned to love couscous in preschool of all places. They would definitely be members of the "clean plate club" if I served this. It looks delicious!

We make couscous all the time because it's ready in five minutes – perfect for a weeknight! I love the flavors paired with the chicken and couscous, I haven't tried it before, but I am definitely bookmarking this recipe!

There's just something about that combination of lime, cilantro and hot pepper flakes that is simply addicting. I just love those flavors together! I know we're going to really enjoy trying this one. Great recipe, Shelby!

Bah, that IS too funny about the "puspus". I love couscous, or even quinoa would be good. Rice is not my favorite, but I do find it annoying that even my boys don't like rice. I know they'll grow out of it and I won't be able to keep enough food in the house to feed them though!
    The chicken sounds great!

HMM this sounds delicious and I love the twist of lime.

What is accent seasoning and what could I use instead of it? Sounds like a season salt?

I'm with Lana and simply can't resist the flavor combo of chicken, lemons, pepper, and cilantro under any circumstances. But in a recipe that is quick, easy, and low-fat too, as you've done here? Just perfect, Shelby! Love it, puspus and all!

Oh Lime, cilantro and spices makes me go to the streets of Thailand and i love it. Some of my favorite ingredients, add them to chicken fish or anything and it makes it yummy!

Don't you love those early show uppers, that arrive when you just start cooking dinner. I love chicken since it cooks so fast, especially with hungry toddlers

OMG, this looks fanstastic! The flavor combo is perfect – can't wait to try it! Hope you are doing well – you sure do seem to be! I miss the old TWD days, and all my old friends…so I just wanted to finally pop in and say I miss ya! (and will be making this recipe, of course!) :)

Oh my…this looks so good! We've tried the couscous several times but the girls don't like it. I'll have to give it another shot! I'm creating my weekly menu right now and think I'll add this to it! Thanks for sharing!

Delicious! Found the recipe on Pinterest. Next time I'll omit the accent seasoning, though. Didn't realize it was MSG until after I added it.

Made this tonight for dinner. It was excellent! It's not every day I get a response like "what's in this? this is really good! You should make it again!" from the hubby. We've never had couscous. Maybe we'll try it sometime. I served it with brown rice instead. Definitely a keeper! Thanks for posting it!

Hello! Thanks for the recipe! I made it for dinner tonight and loved it! Hubby said it was delicious and the kiddos complained less than usual. 😉 y 18-month old even gobbled it up! This is going in the regular rotation! Thanks again!

15. Richelle says

Made this last night and it was great. Next time might try some rice instead. The hubbs wasn't loving the couscous. I also might add a little cornstarch to thicken the sauce. We love some saucy sauce :-) Wanted to mention I found you on Pinterest.

I love this recipe! The first few times we tried this we used chicken bullion cubes instead of broth and it was way more salty then I'm down for, but otherwise, it's perfect.

I know this sounds a little trashy, but I put some Saison Goya in with the chicken glaze and everything comes out this brilliant, glazed-orange color. Beautiful.

If you're down to spend a little extra time, it's definitely worth frying up some veggies to go in with the couscous.

Great recipe, totally going to do a write up on it when we have time! Thank you!