Is there anything better than a cheesy pasta? I don’t think so! I love this Cheesy Penne Chicken Pasta dish. It is quick and easy to put together full of creamy cheese flavor with that toothsome pasta bite!
Sometimes, when a person is sick, all they want is some comfort. In our busy, busy world, comfort can be hard to find when you want it. I’ve been sick most of the week. I’m not sure if it is allergy or cold that got me down but it got me down. I suffered through the afternoon on Wednesday at work and this morning when I was up at 3:30 and on the couch yet again I knew that I would go into work, do what had to be done, then go home. That I did, and I ended up getting a good 4 more hours of much needed sleep.
I woke up around 4 in the afternoon and decided that I needed some food. Some comfort food. I actually felt good enough to dirty the dishes and eat the food, but when it come to clean up it was a little harder. I garnered help from Grumpy, to do the clean up, and will be headed right straight back to bed soon!
The recipe I made for dinner was one that I came across while browsing one of the foodie sites one day. The pasta looked so appetizing I had to visit the blog it came from. Immediately I knew I found someone who knew just how I felt. The title of her post was “Comforting“. I had never seen Tasty Trials before, but you can bet I will be going back to read more of her blog.
I had to do a slight spin on her recipe because of course, I was home and sick and was not about to go to the store. Instead of sausage I used chicken I had thawed out. Instead of feta I went with a mild cheddar. I also used frozen mushroom and peas. It was exactly what I needed. Some good, old fashioned comfort.
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta, cooked until al dente
- 6 cooked chicken tenderloins (I cooked mine in a pam sprayed pan with some salt and pepper), chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I use better than bouillon)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon butter, sliced very thin
- oz whole wheat penne pasta, cooked until al dente
- cooked chicken tenderloins (I cooked mine in a pam sprayed pan with some salt and pepper), chopped
- Tablespoon olive oil
- shallot, chopped
- large clove garlic, chopped
- cup vegetable broth (I use better than bouillon)
- /4 cup heavy cream
- ounces gruyere cheese, shredded
- ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- tablespoon seasoned breadcrumbs
- teaspoon butter, sliced very thin
- Cook pasta according to package until al dente. Set aside. While pasta is cooking, cook chicken tenderloins, let cool slightly and then chop into pieces. Set aside.
- Cook shallot in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and saute a few minutes more. Add vegetable broth, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let broth reduce for about 5 minutes. Add heavy cream, bring back to simmer and reduce for 5 minutes more. Add cheese and stir until well blended. Mix pasta, peas, chicken, and sauce and place in a baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and butter. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Sit back and enjoy your comfort.
CHEESY PENNE CHICKEN PASTA – PIN IT!