Sweet Corn Muffins are delicious served with warm with butter or as a side to a bowl of Spicy Sweet Chili! These moist muffins are also great for breakfast with a side of eggs, as a snack, with hot dog bites baked right into the muffin!
At work recently we had a fall potluck and several people had put chili on the list of things to bring. While I at first I thought I would take a slow cooker dish, I ended up deciding that I should make something sweet and bread-y to compliment all that Buffalo Chicken Chili that so many people were contributing! I did a search for sweet corn bread on allrecipes and came up with one that I decided I was going to go with. These would also be great with some chopped jalapeno in the batter contrasting that sweet with a little bite of heat!
These turned out great. Like the recipe promised, they were moist. I doubled the recipe but I also cut the sugar down. While I wanted sweet, I didn’t want cupcake sweet and to me it just had too much sugar in it. If you’re looking for a sweeter, moist corn muffin to compliment your spicy chili, this is a great one to go with!
Sweet Corn Muffins
Serves: 3 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- In large mixing bowl sift together flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In another smaller bowl (I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup) whisk the 4 eggs and 1 cup of milk together. Add egg/milk mixture and butter to flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Add remaining cup of milk and stir until all mixture is wet. Don’t over-stir…while the recipe at AR states to use a hand mixer, I wouldn’t do it. I’ve always applied the don’t over mix muffins to all muffin recipes.
- Bake in 350 oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and tops of muffins no longer look wet. I wholeheartedly believe that if you over bake your muffin, its going to be tough. So, if it looks dry on the top and dry to the touch and its been only 15 minutes, pull them out!
- This made 3 dozen standard sized muffins. I doubled the recipe which stated that it made 12. Maybe the twelve in the original recipe was for jumbo sized muffins, I’m not sure. However, these were perfect sized to sit alongside some hot chili!