Blueberry Almond Cream Muffins made with white whole wheat and reduced sugar are not only better for you but delicious with incredible texture and flavor!
The other morning I decided that it was about time I made some blueberry muffins again. I couldn’t remember the last time I had made blueberry and they are my favorite kind of muffin ever. Unfortunately, they aren’t Grumpy’s favorite. I guess whats good for the goose is good for the gander eh? Grumpy doesn’t get lasagna all that often either and that is because #1 its not my favorites and #2 I hate making it. So it makes sense that I don’t get something I love that much either. However, after eating this muffin Grumpy may have changed his mind….as long as I don’t try to make blueberry every time I make muffins.
I still have blueberries in my freezer from last season so I also decided I really should use them. I need to make room for this season’s blueberries when they get here anyway! In my mind blueberries and almonds just naturally go together so I decided that this recipe would not only be perfect for us and if Grumpy was turning his nose up (which he may do but still will eat!!), then all the more for me!
I used half regular sugar and half splenda, used all white whole wheat flour, and light sour cream. These aren’t fat free by any means because I did use oil in my batter this time also, but they have to be lower fat than if I had used regular full fat sour cream and lower calorie and carb with the splenda and wheat flour. Like I have said before, I’m no expert in diabetic cooking, I’m in a learning phase, but I like to think that I’m doing a good job trying to make it much more friendly to Grumpy’s diet. While I don’t have carb counts for the muffin, I’m pretty sure its probably better than a bakery style muffin!
- 2 cups White whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup splenda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1-1/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- almond glaze (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, splenda, almond extract and 1/2 cup of the sour cream.
- Fold in half of the flour mixture, then fold in remaining sour cream and then the last half of the flour mixture. Do not over mix. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop batter into muffin cups evenly. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Bake for 20 minutes or until muffins have slightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of muffin.
- Top with glaze made of 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar, 1/2 tsp almond extract, and 1-1/2 tbsp milk. Alternatively you can mix confectioners sugar with pure amaretto (which is what I did) for that little bit of special/special to be added to your morning muffin 🙂
Pin it – Blueberry Almond Cream Muffins