Last month when I was browsing Margaret’s blog for recipes to make for the Secret Recipe Club I realized that she not only loves her tea and scones but she love her shrimp and pasta! My kind of girl 🙂 When I saw that she had made this Shrimp Fra Diavolo with Spinach for the Cooking Ellie group I knew then and there I would be making that dish..
I have been in a blogging slump again. Mostly because believe it or not, we just aren’t eating anything new that I want to post about. We have been following the guidlines for Grumpy’s diabetic diet pretty faithfully which has cut a lot of high carb and baked goods out of our life. Instead we are having protien smoothies and lots of fresh fruit and veggies throughout the day and for dinner usually a quick and easy throw together meal and several of them ones that I have posted here throughout the years such as the Red & White Cauliflower Bake which Grumpy devours like crazy and I think its funny because its a tofu dish! Because we are both pasta lovers it is hard to not make at least a couple meals a week with pasta so I decided to make them as healthy as I possibly could and I have been using the Dreamfields pasta.
This dish was full of flavor and I will definitely keep it on my list of shrimp/pasta dishes to make. I love that its healthy and delicious!
I am submitting this post to Presto Pasta Nights being hosted this week by Stash of Simple Kitchen Seasons. You still have time to submit if you want to join in. Just visit the PPN website for the submission guidelines. Make sure to visit his website tomorrow for the round up of yummy pasta dishes made this last week for this event!
- ½ lb Pasta of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 cups baby spinach
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente and according to the directions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 additional minute. Add the tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, the oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and spinach and cook, stirring, until the shrimp is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the drained cooked pasta to the sauce and toss until well combined.