I have been buying alot of bananas lately. This also means that I have had a lot of over ripe bananas on my hands. I made some Banana Crumb Muffins about a week or so ago. I had to admit, that is the best banana muffin I have ever made. However, since I had just made that recipe I decided I wanted to do something different with my next batch of banana muffins.
This will definitely be another keeper recipe. I loved the moist bites of cherries in the muffin, the crunch of the walnuts, and the little bit of chocolate drizzle set it right off the chart for me.
For this muffin I wanted texture, so I used two bananas slightly mashed to go in with the cherries and walnuts in the batter. Turned out perfect. At first I was afraid it would leave mushy spots inside the banana, but it didn’t, so I was very happy!
Make these muffins for yourself, go out on your porch with your cup of coffee and a couple of these, and enjoy the comfortable morning temps. Sounds like a perfect situation to me. 😉
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 very ripe bananas
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- Chocolate Drizzle:
- ⅓ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons fat free half and half
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare muffin pans by lining with 18 muffin liners or spraying pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Mash two of the bananas with the brown sugar, setting the other two aside until later. Using an electric mixer, mix until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, extracts, and melted butter and mix until all is well incorporated and mixture looks creamy.
- Mash the other two bananas, leaving slightly chunky. Mix into wet ingredients along with the chopped cherries and walnuts.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. Do not beat!
- Bake for 18 -20 minutes (I baked mine 18 min exactly). After muffins have slightly cooled top with chocolate drizzle.
- For Chocolate Drizzle: Melt chocolate and half and half in the microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth.
BANANA CHERRY NUT MUFFINS – PIN IT!