I don’t bake anywhere near as much as I used to. Often times I will wish for something yummy like these Black Forest Brownies, but most times I just let the feeling pass. We really don’t need goodies lying around the house. However, I had these fresh cherries in my refrigerator, a new Cherry Pitter, and I had a craving for something fudgy and cherried. I decided to make a half batch of my favorite brownie recipe and make them with freshly pitted cherries.
I contemplated frosting them but decided against it. I then contemplated turning them into brownie parfaits but decided against that also. After all, I really only needed a little bit to satisfy my craving and turning it into a full blown dessert with just more sugar and calories would only lend to making me feel ill after I had consumed it. I will definitely not hesitate to make this recipe again. I will save it for a special occasion though because I know these would be perfect as a parfait with some whipped cream and cherries!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) light butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup Hersheys Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherries, pitted then quartered
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8x8 pan with tinfoil. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.In a microwave safe bowl, heat butter for 30 seconds until almost melted. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Set aside to cool about 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs.In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Add to wet mixture and stir until combined. Fold in cherries and chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Note: the measurement for the fresh cherries is before pitting and quartering.