Some mornings you just have to have savory. I went on the search for something quick and easy and just for me last Sunday morning. I’m an early bird and usually up at least 2-3 hours ahead of Grumpy, so sometimes I am not feeling much like I can wait for him to get up and feel like eating. He is an iffy kind of person when its breakfast time. Sometimes he wants it and sometimes he doesn’t and most times he wants pancakes if he decides he wants to eat.
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and decided to make it for just one. It was very flavorful and perfect for just one person. This can be very versatile by adding any type of protein you wish. I went with the vegetarian sausage, but you could use ham, bacon, even shrimp would work with this!
Try kicking up the spice some, I plan to next time I make this and make it Mexican flavored. Just switch from seasoned croutons and use plain ones and then add your basic Mexican spices such as cumin and chili powder. Or, you could go with some warm Indian flavors and in place of the meat, use chickpea and a blend of Indian spices such as curry powder, garam masala, and mustard seeds (heat in oil with garlic and onion).
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tbsp onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp seasoned croutons
- 2 tbsp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 breakfast patty (vegetarian), Morningstar Farms preferred
- In small skillet, saute butter, onion and garlic until onion is slightly softened (about 1-2 minutes).Toss croutons with butter garlic mixture and place in a single serve souffle baking dish.
- Toss in breakfast sausage pieces. Top with 1 tablespoon cheese.Whisk egg, mustard, milk, and pepper until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over top of crouton mixture. Sprinkle with remaining tablespoon of cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of casserole.
(Set of 8) 4 oz. Porcelain Ramekins, White Bakeware, Soufflé Cups Dishes, Creme Brulee, Pudding, Custard Cups, Dessert Bowls, Condiment Servers
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 ramekin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 235mg Sodium: 362mg Carbohydrates: 9g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Protein: 12g