The big news today is that we are moving! If you follow my Facebook page you may already know this as I announced it last week there. We finally were able to find a home that suited both Grumpy and me and met our most important criteria. Our “scheduled” closing date is December 16 and hopefully all goes well and we actually close on that date. We’ll know better after the inspections are done this week. The one thing I can say is that it doesn’t seem real.
We have been looking for so long that it is hard to believe that it actually happened after giving up several times in the last few years. I literally went to look at this house thinking it wasn’t going to work out for us. It seems like it happened so fast when it actually happened! It goes to show that just when you think it probably won’t happen….it will! I really say a lot of it had to do with the new realtor we were referred to. This guy has been on the ball from the moment I emailed him! (Ed Beisler at Team Beisler, Keller Williams Realty) Thank you so much Ed for helping us become homeowners again!
With this event happening in our life in the very near future, I have been doing very limited grocery shopping. I’m trying to use what we have in the house so I don’t have to worry about transporting too much food. Sometimes I think I should work this way all the time. Certainly makes for a smaller grocery bill!
I had some leftover turkey and gravy in the fridge and decided to pull what had together to make a pot pie. To make it a little more special, I decided to use a cheddar garlic biscuit topping and went on an internet search. I finally came across a recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe that seemed exactly what I was looking for. Her photos were so appetizing that I was anxious for my finished product so I could bite into it! I used her cheddar biscuit topping with a little bit of change for my own filling and where I normally would use onions, I used a shallot that I received from Frieda’s Specialty Produce (loving their goodies they sent me!). It was delicious 🙂 Thank you Mel for being out there to give me this recipe!
- 3 cups chopped cooked turkey breast
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup turkey gravy
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- ½ can almond milk
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute shallot in butter over medium high heat in large skillet for 2-3 minutes. Add frozen vegetables and turkey. Cover and simmer 2-3 minutes more. Mix gravy, soup, and almond milk together then stir into turkey/vegetable mixture. Simmer, uncovered for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and place in deep casserole dish (I used my pampered chef oval ceramic oven baker - shown in first photo).
- While turkey mixture is simmering, assemble the biscuit topping. In a medium sized bowl, toss flour, cheese, garlic powder and salt. In another bowl, mix together egg and heavy cream. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just moistened.
- Spoon biscuit topping over top of turkey mixture. Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes until biscuits are golden brown and cooked through. Serve.