Who doesn't want a little naughtiness now and again? I am in the process of trying ingredients that I know will be beneficial for Grumpy. Now I admit here, that these doughnuts were not exactly what the Doctor ordered, but they were better than a regular doughnut. Made with coconut sugar, the doughnuts themselves were not real sweet. I didn't have a flour other than all-purpose to use, so that is what I used. However, my pantry will soon have some flours on it's shelves that are better for you than all-purpose and I'll be doing some experimenting.Cook time: 00 hrs. 12 mins.
Baby steps my friends. I'm going in baby steps. Coconut sugar is the only item in this recipe that has that benefit. So in no way, is this recipe considered the nutritionally sound for a diabetic. I'm not making any claims as such. I am not a nutritionist. I'm just doing what I can to make things gradually better in this house.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
I'm in a learning process, so as I learn, you will see that things will continue to change around here!
I first saw coconut sugar on my friend Katrina's blog, Baking with Boys. Katrina has been going through some lifestyle changes with her eating to benefit her health and I have to commend her for doing such a great job. It really peaked my interest when I read she used coconut sugar in some of her recipes but I didn't try to find it until I read on Meal Planning Maven that it was a sugar lower on the glycemic index that I decided I had better find it and give it a try.
Baked Banana Doughnuts with Browned Butter Rum Glaze
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons soured milk
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray non-stick 6 count doughnut baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together dry indredients and set aside. In a small bowl, mash together the banana, sugar, soured milk, egg, and coconut extract.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
- Fill pan three quarters of the way full in each well. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden and doughnut bounces back when slightly pressed.
- Let cool on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make the glaze, melt butter on stove top over low heat. Continue to cook (watch this carefully or it will burn) until butter just begins to form brown specks. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar to the butter. Stir, mixture will be dry and crumbly. Add rum, 1 tablespoon at a time. Add remaining sugar until it becomes of easily spreading and/or dipping consistency - whatever your preference.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 22 mins.
- Calories: 247.7
- Fat: 6.4
- Totalcarbs: 44.4
- Dietaryfiber: 1.1
- Protein: 4.0
Tags: coconut sugar, banana, browned butter, rum, breakfast, snack