Chicken Tenders with Mushroom and Pearl Onions
By slightly adapted from Cooking Light
- 8 chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby portabello mushrooms, quartered
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 6 oz bag pearl onions
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- To prepare onions: Place whole onion in boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove, drain and cool down with cold water. To easily remove the onion from the skin, slice the root end and squeeze the onion from the top. The onion will pop right out!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix salt and pepper with 1 tablespoon flour and lightly dredge each chicken tender with flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add cutlets and cook 2 minutes each side (mine took more than 2 minutes) or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add the 2nd tablespoon of oil to skillet. Add pearl onions and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Gradually add Brandy to pan and simmer 3 minutes until reduced.
- Combine cornstarch and chicken broth. Add to brandy and bring to a low boil. Cook until thickened.
- Add chicken tenders and mushrooms and onions. Serve.
Note: Nutrition information for original recipe on cooking light. Calories may be slightly less using my recipe as I cut the oil by 1 tablespoon and flour by 1 tablespoon.
Yield: 4 servings (2 cutlets and 3/4 cup mushroom mixture
Cook time: 00 hrs. 43 mins.
Total time: 43 mins.
- Calories: 402
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Protein: 39.9 g
- Totalcarbs: 9.2
Tags: Chicken, low carb, mushrooms, pearl onions, cooking with booze