A little while ago I heard from Frieda's Specialty Produce again. Their email is my favorite one to get in my inbox. I absolutely love fresh produce and I love being able to try things I have not ever tried before. This time I was being offered to try some seasonal items and I knew immediately what my choice would be. Pearl Onions.
I have never cooked with pearl onions before but in the most recent issue of Cooking Light Magazine, there was a recipe for Chicken with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions and I knew as soon as I saw it I had to try the recipe. I went on the search for pearl onions. The recipe called for fresh, but I looked for fresh or frozen. I couldn't find them. Then, lo and behold I hear from my Frieda's Specialty Produce contact and she was wondering if I would like anything from a list of choice she sent me. Pearl Onions was one of the items on the list!
I am so happy I chose these onions. After Grumpy finished his dinner, his comment was "dinner was really good". I was skeptical if he would like it because he's not a huge onion fan. Winner! :)
The gravy has some really good stuff in it. Brandy! I realized I loved Brandy after making tiramisu. Even just the smell of it makes me smile :) If you don't have Brandy, you can probably use just chicken broth in place of it (making it 1-2/3 cups broth).
Note: I reduced the flour and omitted the butter from the original recipe. I also went with baby portobello mushrooms rather than button mushrooms.
Chicken Tenders with Mushroom and Pearl Onions
Brandy spiked and low carb! Can you get any better than this? :)
- 8 chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces baby portabello mushrooms, quartered
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 6 oz bag pearl onions
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- To prepare onions: Place whole onion in boiling water. Boil for 3 minutes. Remove, drain and cool down with cold water. To easily remove the onion from the skin, slice the root end and squeeze the onion from the top. The onion will pop right out!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Mix salt and pepper with 1 tablespoon flour and lightly dredge each chicken tender with flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan and swirl to coat. Add cutlets and cook 2 minutes each side (mine took more than 2 minutes) or until no longer pink. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add the 2nd tablespoon of oil to skillet. Add pearl onions and mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Gradually add Brandy to pan and simmer 3 minutes until reduced.
- Combine cornstarch and chicken broth. Add to brandy and bring to a low boil. Cook until thickened.
- Add chicken tenders and mushrooms and onions. Serve. Note: Nutrition information for original recipe on cooking light. Calories may be slightly less using my recipe as I cut the oil by 1 tablespoon and flour by 1 tablespoon.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 43 mins.
Total time: 43 mins.
- Calories: 402
- Fat: 17.7 g
- Protein: 39.9 g
- Totalcarbs: 9.2
Tags: Chicken, low carb, mushrooms, pearl onions, cooking with booze