Tonight is a treat you don't normally get here at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch. Mexican Food. The new year for Allrecipes Allstars has begun and the month of March we were given the assignment of making a couple of recipes for Mazola®. I had opted out basically because the recipes weren't really something Grumpy would eat.Cook time: 00 hrs. 45 mins.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
The main reason you don't see a lot of Mexican recipes here is because Grumpy "thinks" he doesn't like it. You wouldn't believe the grief I get when he asks me what's for dinner and I come out with something that sounds "Mexican" to him. I don't get it. The man loves Mexico. Why can't he love that type of food too!
I love it when I can say "I have to make it because it's for AR". :) Then he can't fight me too awfully hard. He might tell me I owe him, but at that point he knows he better clam it and not aggravate me. ha ha. If I have to pull my camera out for a recipe, then he knows he needs to leave me alone (or at least I like to think he does!). His words were "it better be good". That is always what he says when he hears words coming out of my mouth about food that has to go in his tummy, that he thinks he won't like.
Turned out....Grumpy actually ate seconds of this recipe. He also told me that it wasn't too bad. Haha. He also gave me a story to tell all of you when I wrote this blog post :)
The original recipe calls for pork. We aren't huge pork eaters here so I went with boneless skinless chicken thighs. I also made a few other changes to the recipe to suit my own taste.
I received product from allrecipes.com and Mazola to try the product and make/rate/review the recipe on allrecipes.com. I was not compensated in any other way and was not required to blog about my experience. All thoughts and opinions stated in this post are my own.
Other recipes you may enjoy for Cinco de Mayo:
note: because my recipe calls for chicken I went with a reduced cooking time
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons Mazola® cooking oil
- 1 large scallion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Adobo seasoning
- 2 tomatillos, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Avocado slices
- Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Season cubed chicken with Adobo seasoning. Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken, onions, garlic powder, chili powder, chipotle chili powder and cumin. Saute 3-5 minutes to brown the meat.
- Add enough water to barely cover chicken. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove lid and continue to simmer an additional 15 -20 minutes, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Combine chopped tomatillos, tomatoes, cilantro and juice of 1/2 lime in small bowl.
- Place equal amounts of chicken on each tortilla. Top with salsa and avocado if desired.
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 65 mins.
Tags: Mexican, Chicken, Tortilla, Chili, Salsa, Sauces, Lime, Chipotle