Its that time again. Time for our Secret Recipe Club Reveal and Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes filled with a Kahlua Creme Filling became my chocolate obsession for the month.
I have to admit it. I have two bottles of Kahlua in my liquor cabinet. How that happened, I’ll never know! However, I decided it was time to put some of the Kahlua to use. What goes better with chocolate than some coffee flavored liquor to enhance it some? But I had to take it even further. After the cupcakes were baked, I felt they were a little on the dry side. How could I remedy it and still have cupcakes besides having someone drink a huge glass of milk with it? Well, fill it with some Marshmallow filling – flavored with ….. you got it! Kahlua!
I didn’t have any marshmallow creme in my pantry so I went on a quick web search and found over at Angie’s blog Big Bear’s Wife, a recipe for marshmallow creme that she made with marshmallows, corn syrup and milk. I adapted her recipe to suit my needs for the filling.
So, are you wondering what I did with the cake that I removed from the center of the cupcake? Well, I made Bonbons! I will be sharing that post with you soon as I used the Chocoley Dipping Chocolate to make the Bonbons. Oh, are they ever so yummy!
Please check out the links after the recipe post to see what all the other members of the Secret Recipe Club came up with this month!
- 1 cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 2 cups cake flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup Almond Milk
- ¼ cup Kahlua
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Kahlua Marshmallow Filling:
- 2-1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua
- Kahlua Buttercream Frosting:
- ½ cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- ½ butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons Kahlua
- To make the Kahlua Syrup:
- ⅔ cup Kahlua
- ⅓ cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- To make the cake: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of Kitchen-Aid (or large mixing bowl) Mix together the dry ingredients: Splenda Sugar Blend through salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the Canola oil, eggs, milk, Kahlua, and vanilla extract.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients until well blended, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
- Scoop (about ¼ cup of batter) into paper lined cupcake tins. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the filling: In a microwave safe bowl, mix marshmallows and corn syrup. Microwave for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir to combine. Add powdered sugar and Kahlua.
- Cut a circle around the top of cupcake. Set the top aside and remove some of the cake filling from the center. Using a piping bag, pipe the marshmallow filling into cupcake and replace the circle top.
- To make the buttercream: Cream together shortening and butter. Add sugar and Kahlua and mix until creamy. Pipe on top of the cupcakes.
- To make the syrup for drizzle: Simmer on stovetop over medium heat in heavy bottomed pan, the Kahlua, water, and honey. Simmer until reduced by half and syrup thickens slightly (this will thicken more as it cools). Drizzle a small amount of syrup over top of the cupcake. Refrigerate until serving