I happened to get some strawberries in my Field Goods package last week. They weren’t the kind I was going to be able to dip to make the special dessert I had in mind for Grumpy and me, so I decided to something different and try my hand at making some Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins with Lemon Glaze.
I also happened to stop at a local fruit/vegetable stand on the way home from work last week to give their berries a try also. So you will see a few strawberry recipes popping up around here in the near future!
I went on a search for strawberry muffins and wouldn’t you know my friend Michele over at Flavor Mosiac came up first in my search! She also used allrecipes.com as an inspiration for her Strawberry Muffin recipe, however I had found a strawberry muffin recipe over there that I decided to give a try at adapting.
The recipe I found was not a gluten free recipe so I decided that I would try my hand at it and make it gluten free and use agave as a sweetener as it is lower on the glycemic index (for Grumpy’s sake!)
I have to say that I do prefer my regular “glutenized” muffins over a gluten free muffin. The texture is a little different. But these were delicious and if I had to eat gluten free, I would probably not be suffering a whole lot! I would probably increase my eggs to 2 for the added fat and moisture next time so if you try these, I do suggest you do the same! Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 egg (I would increase to 2 if making these again)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups gluten free flour (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup confectioner sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin with 8 cupcake liners.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together canola oil, almond milk, agave, egg, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together gluten free flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until just combined.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Using 1/2 cup scoop, place batter in muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of muffin.
- To glaze, mix together confectioners sugar and lemon juice. Dip tops of muffins in glaze and set to dry.