This month the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is having a picnic!
I love how summer gives us the freshest food available. I love the farmers markets especially where I can get local produce! So, when I saw that I was to bring a salad, I knew immediately I wanted to bring this Farro Cherry Walnut Salad that I saw in my June 2014 issue of Cooking Light. I love the colors, the fresh flavors, and citrus dressing with the whole grain mustard (I used Maille Whole Grain – love it!), just perfect for a summer picnic!
For the recipe I made, I did make a few adjustments to the orginal recipe. I love lime and cherry, so I subbed lime juice for the lemon juice and for a sweetener I used agave instead of honey. For me, that was the ultimate dressing for this salad! I hope you will try it.
Follow the links to the other Virtual Supper Club Members blogs to find out what they brought to our Virtual Beach Blanket Picnic!
Shelby, that be me, Grumpy’s Honeybunch brought the salad of Farro, Cherry & Walnut
Farro Cherry Walnut Salad
Author: Grumpy's Honeybunch
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked farro, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- ¾ pound sweet cherries, pitted and halved
- ½ cup diced celery
- ½ cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon agave
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook Farro according to package. Drain and cool.
- Combine Farro, Cherries, Walnuts, Celery, and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a 1 cup glass measuring cup, combine, lime juice, mustard, agave, pepper, olive oil, and salt. Toss with farro/cherry mixture.
- Refrigerate until serving
- serving = ⅔ cup