Its that time of year when we start thinking about Pumpkin, Spice, and Caramel! This year for your Halloween party or even just for the fun of it, why not make this Crunchy Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn Snack Mix for all your hooligans!
I recently received a few oils and an emulsion from LorAnn Oils. I love that they have many different delicious flavored oils that are perfect for baking and candy making. The oils are more potent then traditional extracts so a little bit of flavor goes a long way! They also sell bakery emulsions that are perfect for cakes, cookies, and frostings and another great factor with the emulsions – they water based instead of alcohol based like most extracts so your flavor is not lost when baking!
Since I think Pumpkin and Caramel are a fall match made in heaven, I went with a treat that made me think halloween. When I was a little girl (many moons ago) my favorite treat I would get would be a homemade popcorn ball from one of our neighbors. I also love anything pumpkin and with the pumpkin craze upon us now, I couldn’t help but take two of my favorite things and put them together in this Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn Snack Mix!
The photos might seem a little eerie but don’t let them scare you away! This Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn is absolutely delicious. So much so that when I got up the next morning and took a peek in the container (I was not going to eat, I was going to take to work……promise!) I found out I would not be taking it to work at all.
The caramel corn did not seem to scare Grumpy away any either. Ahem. The bowl was pretty much empty of caramel corn. Really Grumpy?!
Note to self: Never leave something yummy on the counter or anywhere in Grumpy’s reach when I plan to take the treat to work to share!
Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn Snack Mix
Author: Grumpy's Honeybunch
Serves: 12-14 cups
- ½ cup unpopped corn kernels (10-12 cups popped)
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon LorAnn Pumpkin Flavor
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups candy coated chocolate pieces
- 1-1/2 cups pumpkin spice pumpkin seeds (or regular if you can't find pumpkin spice)
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Make your popcorn in the method you prefer. I prefer to air pop mine. Place in a large oven roaster and remove any unpopped kernels.
- In a l2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Mix in the sugar until completely moistened. Bring to a slow boil and boil for approximately 2-3 minutes. If you boil too long, your sauce will harden too quickly on you. If using a candy thermometer the temperature should be about 250-300 degrees.
- Remove from heat and add the Pumpkin Spice Flavor, salt, and baking soda. The syrup will bubble up with the baking soda, don't be alarmed!
- Slowly pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn and stir to combine. Continue stirring until the kernels are well coated.
- Bake the caramel corn for 60 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes to prevent clumps.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Be sure to check out the delicious treats that several other bloggers made with LorAnn Oils and Emulsions by following the links below the recipe.