This month the Virtual Supper Club is bringing you brunch! My contribution is this delicious
Swiss Tomato Saysage Strata!
I don’t know about you, but weekends always mean brunch to me. My weekdays are so hectic that I am lucky to get out the door with protien shake in hand or even a packed lunch at times. I don’t remember it being so hectic when the kids were home, maybe it was, or maybe I was younger and had more energy back then!
The original recipe for this strata is for Bacon Cheddar and Tomato, however, I had no bacon (shocker!) but I had turkey sausage. When I think cheese and tomato, the natural combination to me is swiss, not cheddar. Hence, Turkey Sausage, Swiss Chees, and Tomato Strata was born. This was delicious and since Grumpy and I don’t eat a whole casserole by ourselves, I halved the recipe. Still, at that I took leftovers to work and shared with co-workers. Loved this recipe and I hope you will too!
Be sure to check out the rest of our menu by visiting the member’s posts!
I brought this Turkey Sausage, Swiss Cheese and Tomato Strata.
Swiss Tomato Sausage Strata
Author: Grumpy's Honeybunch
Serves: 6 servings
- 6 turkey sausage patties, chopped and cooked
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups cubed Italian bread
- Cooking Spray
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1-2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup almond milk
- ⅛ cup thinly sliced basil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- Cook turkey sausage in non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Arrange 2 cups of bread cubes in bottom of small baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with ⅔ cup cheese, half of sausage and onion mixture, and tomato slices. Combine milk and remaining ingredients and stir well with a whisk. Pour half of milk mixture over tomatoes. Top with 4 cups bread cubes, ⅔ cup cheese, remaining sausage and onion mixture, tomato slices, and remaining half of milk mixture.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour. You can also prepare this the night before and chill overnight.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Sprinkle with ⅔ cup cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.