I love it when I make a recipe that tastes great and is healthy for you too. This Cherry-Blueberry Trifle fits the bill for both of those aspects! The creamy vanilla flavored yogurt with just the right amount of sweetness combined with the fruit and crunchy nuts and just a couple little ladyfingers fill that craving for a dessert without killing that diet!
This week the folks over at #SundaySupper are presenting you with Heart Healthy Recipes in honor of American Heart Month. Thank you to Ethel of eating in instead and Lori of Foxes Love Lemons for hosting this week.
Please note the information below is what research I have done on the health benefits of the ingredients I used and my interpretation of these benefits. All thoughts and opinions in this post are my own and are the reason I choose to include these foods in my diet.
Blueberries happen to be my favorite fruit and you really couldn’t choose a better one for your health either as far as I am concerned! They are rich in antioxidants, a good source of fiber and vitamin C as well as good for your memory. Lord knows I can use all the help I can get with my memory!
Cherries are right up there with blueberries on my likeness factor! As a little girl I was always happy if there was cherry pie around. Cherries are linked to lowering risk factors to heart disease and are also related to reducing inflammation, cholesterol, and belly fat!
What do you do to treat your heart and health better? Are you following a nutrition plan? (sounds so much better than diet, don’t you agree?) Be sure to check out the other Heart Healthy recipes linked up below from the SundaySupper Tastemakers!
- 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 4 teaspoons splenda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 3/4 cup cherries
- 6 lady fingers, cut into thirds
- 1/2 tablespoon splenda brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped roasted pecans
- Toss blueberries and cherries with the 1/2 tablespoon splenda brown sugar. Set aside.
- Mix yogurt, 4 teaspoons splenda, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well combined.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup fruit in bottom of trifle bowl. Top fruit with approximately 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture. Layer with lady fingers.
- Repeat layers topping with the last bit of yogurt. Cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours.
- Prior to serving, sprinkle each parfait with 1 teaspoon pecan pieces.
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers and snacks:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Have Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.