This week I am bringing you Shrimp Broccoli Cavatappi for #SundaySupper. Cavatappi pasta and broccoli coated with light Alfredo sauce, topped with grilled seasoned shrimp, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and lemon zest. This is an Applebee’s Copycat recipe for those of you who love this lighter menu option and would like to try to make it at home!
This is my order for today’s #SundaySupper being hosted by Coleen at The Redhead Baker.
Grumpy and I don’t eat out often, but when we do, one restaurant we like to go to is Applebees. This didn’t used to be the case because a one point he thought he hated the place! I like to go because they do offer some flavorful meals that are 500 calories or less. One night I convinced him to meet me there after work and he decided he didn’t dislike it so much after all.
That night Grumpy decided to try the Shrimp Broccoli Cavatappi – which also happens to be on the lighter menu. It turned out that he enjoyed the meal enough that when I mentioned eating out again he actually suggested going to Applebees!
I decided to try my hand at the Applebee’s Shrimp Broccoli Cavatappi. A search on the internet brought up nothing except photos of Applebee’s dish with the description. That was when I decided I didn’t really need someone else’s take on the recipe, I could just recreate it on my own.
While I like to be able to make my version of favorite restaurant recipes at home I do not really like giving my night out up too often. Lets face it, we all need to get out at times and let someone else do the cooking for us. Some of us aren’t fortunate enough to have a partner or spouse who will or can cook! I decided that even though I will still probably go to Applebee’s for this meal that it wouldn’t hurt to have a recipe around for those times when we are craving a certain meal and need to save our pennies.
Do you have a favorite restaurant recipe you have re-created at home? The SundaySupper clan has put together a list of their favorite copy cat recipes to share with you so make sure you visit the links after the recipe to check them out!
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups dried cavatappi pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/3 cups low-fat milk
- 1-1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tablespoons ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Cook shrimp on hot grill 2-3 minutes on each side until pink. Alternatively, saute shrimp in saucepan over medium heat in a non-stick frying pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Remove pasta from water by scooping out with a slotted spoon into colander. Return pasta water to stove and blanch broccoli (about 5 minutes). Strain and rinse with cold water to stop broccoli from cooking.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in flour and gradually add milk, stirring all the while with a whisk. Cook 6 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and salt, stirring with a whisk until cheeses melt. Toss sauce with hot pasta and broccoli. Top with shrimp and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and lemon zest. Garnish with black pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Copy Cat Orange Julius Recipe (sugar free) by Simply Healthy Family
- Hard Rock Cafe’s Twist & Shout Shake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Bang Bang Cauliflower Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Copy Cat: Outback Bloomin’ Sauce with Onion Petals by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Nopal Dip by Cookin’ Mimi
- Copycat Hershey’s Syrup: Homemade Chocolate Syrup by Brunch with Joy
- Copycat Sriracha Sauce by Nosh My Way
- The Village Cafe’s Avocado Dressing by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Applebee’s Shrimp and Cavatappi by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- B.good’s West Side burger with chipotle salsa and avocado by Caroline’s Cooking
- Brie and Asparagus Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Cheesecake Factory Cashew Chicken by Feeding Big
- Chicken Kitchen Chop Chop and Curry Mustard Sauce by Love and Confections
- Chicken Tikka Poutine by Sustainable Dad
- Chili’s Margarita Grilled Chicken by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Filet Mignon with Red Wine Reduction and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- IHOP’s Ham, Egg & Cheese Melt by Food Done Light
- Chevy’s Sweet Corn Tomalito by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Henri’s Tas-Tee Dressing Clone and Cole Slaw by Palatable Pastime
- Panera Copycat Mac and Cheese by From Gate to Plate
- Copycat Cosmic Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cracker Barrel’s Double Fudge Coca-Cola Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Friendly’s Monster Mash Sundae by The Redhead Baker
- Sheetz “Gobbz” Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Tiramisu by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Yeasted Sour Cherry Coffee Cake by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.